MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 and EOS 5D footage

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sue DalyMedia 100 and EOS 5D footage
by on Nov 24, 2010 at 4:38:41 pm

I'm thinking of doing some HD filming with the Canon EOS 5D. How easy is this to work with in Media 100? (I have Media 100 Suite 1.6.2) I'm used to working with digibeta footage in off-line res then on-lining when the edits's done. (If any of you have some advice please bear in mind that I'm probably the least techy person out there using M100!)

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media 100 and EOS 5D footage
by on Nov 25, 2010 at 10:12:51 am

The 5D uses an MPEG4 variant for recording, which cannot be used in Media 100 (or FCP, for example) directly for editing. You need to convert the files into something Media 100 can handle, first. When doing that you have to make sure to carry over as much details as possible from your original files.

Return to posts index

Sue DalyRe: Media 100 and EOS 5D footage
by on Nov 25, 2010 at 6:50:26 pm

Thanks Floh, how would I go about converting it?

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

Murray FergusonRe: Media 100 and EOS 5D footage
by on Nov 25, 2010 at 10:28:16 pm

We’ve been shooting re enactments for a doco series on the 5D and I have to say the workflow is clunky at best, though it’s fair to say I’m not at all techy either. When we got it right though, the images were pretty stunning. There are a lot of variables to sort through, but once you work these out you can achieve a good look. Some things to keep in mind are:
Camera sound is unusable really, so you need to record separate audio and work out a way of syncing it, i.e a clapper.
If you want to finish up with a 25 fps product then you need to shoot at 25 on the cannon. (ours defaulted to 24 constantly)
It doesn’t handle movement very well, either fast movement through frame or a moving camera, though this seemed to depend on the speed of the pan. We ended up adapting our shooting style to suit but this might be too limiting for some projects. I’d suggest doing lots of tests.
Even the codec used when importing the quicktimes effected the look. The M100 codec significantly darkened the images. The codec also has a huge effect on file sizes, which could have implications for storage. Especially considering that you end up with 3 versions of each file, a backup of the camera original, the converted QT, and the M100 version.
We imported the 5D files into a program called MPEG streamclip. From there you can export to QT. Lots of settings to experiment with. For instance, in our case we were downscaling the HD progressive images to SD interlaced, to match the project they were going into. Once you work out your preferred settings you can save them as a preset, import multiple files into a batch window, set it going and walk away.
You then import these new quicktimes into M100. That’s my experience of the 5D anyway.
I can’t guarantee it’s the best way to work with it but in the end we managed some beautiful images that we couldn’t have achieved affordably any other way.

Return to posts index

Sue DalyRe: Media 100 and EOS 5D footage
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 10:04:00 pm

Hi There,

Me again - attempting once again to use footage from my EOS 5Dii in Media 100. When I import the files straight into M100 they look pretty rough and go rather dark. I've followed your advice and have tried MPEG StreamClip but being deeply untechy am a bit stuck on what settings to use. I'm assuming that the export format to choose is Media 100 PAL-720 (I'm in the UK) but what about all of those other complicated boxes? Interlaced scaling or progresive??
There's a box for adjustments and in there I can lighten the image or is it better to do that in Media 100?
Whatever I do the exported file still looks a little crumby. I'd be interested to know your thoughts and hear how you are getting on.

Oh, I've tried using Magic Bullet Grinder too but discovered that that isn't compatible with M100.

best regards from a small island on the edge of the Atlantic,

Sue

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]