MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Old M-100 .MOV playback problem on new system

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben PriceOld M-100 .MOV playback problem on new system
by on Nov 24, 2010 at 12:20:49 am

I am having difficulty getting some old video files that were exported as 'self contained movie' from a M-100 v8 system to playback on our new Media 100 HD system.

2.66 Quad Xeon
OS 10.6.4

Quicktime won't play them and Media 100 won't recognize them on the new Intel Mac. However, they play fine on the old G4 editing system AND on a G5 system with the codecs installed. I thought that old media would play on newer systems?

I downloaded the Intel Codecs and (re)installed them just to make sure it wasn't a codec thing. But, that didn't work.

What am i missing? Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Old M-100 .MOV playback problem on new system
by on Nov 24, 2010 at 7:26:48 am

This should work. In Media 100 on your Intel Mac, can you select the "Media 100 i" codec in the Media settings dialog? If you open your exported file in QuickTime player, what does happen? Is it only white, or does it give an error message? If you look into the clip format for the video track (Command-J), what codec is listed there? Can you post a (zipped) file somewhere so that I can take a look at it?

Return to posts index

Ben PriceRe: Old M-100 .MOV playback problem on new system
by on Nov 24, 2010 at 7:53:42 pm

More troubleshooting info...

When I try to load any archived M-100 file off of our (windows-based) server in the Intel Mac, Quicktime just sits there with the twirly ball and effectively locks up. Sometimes it will show 'Loading Movie...' in the window, and after a few minutes (less than five), the window size will shrink and move to the center of the screen. It has the size/appearance of what would be expected if you were playing an audio file.

Only after it goes through this process will it give you any information in the movie inspector window. And, all it shows is the file name and size plus a data rate of 0 bit/s and a current size of 20x113 pixels. Nothing else. I'll see if I can post a file somewhere.

I definitely have something weird going on. Some files that played fine from an archived hard drive (connected via USB) before I posted the original message will not want to play now on this system. They're still fine on the older computers.

And in the Finder, if the Preview twirly is down with one of these video files, the whole Finder system locks up and I can't navigate anywhere.

It does seem that, on occasion, if I wait for all of the Finder lock-up mess to run it's course (15 min. or so), the computer will begin playing the files in the particular folder being browsed. If I navigate to another folder, the process starts over. This is utterly frustrating.

I don't know if there could be an application conflict somewhere. I suppose it's possible? I just purchased and loaded Adobe CS5 on it so I could use the media encoder for Flash exports. Other than that, there is really no other software on the system (all Adobe, Apple, and BorisFX) and nothing else has changed.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Old M-100 .MOV playback problem on new system
by on Nov 25, 2010 at 10:11:29 am

Hmmm, what happens if you copy one of the files onto your local harddrive? One problem could be that your windows server does not properly keep track of the resource forks of the files (the concept of data-forks and resource-forks for files is unknown to Windows). This could result in unusable files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved