MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Unix Executable files anyone?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinUnix Executable files anyone?
by on Nov 15, 2010 at 10:45:27 am

I'm trying to restore some self-contained Media 100 files which were burn to DVD in 2003. They don't have file extensions and are claiming to be Unix Executable files. I've tried adding .mov to them but they won't open in QT. Any ideas on how I can get them to be seen as QT files again?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Unix Executable files anyone?
by on Nov 15, 2010 at 12:38:42 pm

I'm also trying to open Media 100 files from the same backup. These are also now 'unix executable files' which I can't open. I've tried changing the default app for opening with Get Info, and opening from within M100 but no luck.

Any ideas out there on how to turn them back into files that M100 and QT can recognise?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthyRe: Unix Executable files anyone?
by on Nov 20, 2010 at 6:20:55 am

My guess is that the DVDs are in Windows format and therefore the files have lost essential resource fork information. That would definitely make bins, programs and projects unusable, but media might be salvaged. Since your media is also not working, maybe the resource forks for all the files got munged somehow in the burn. Maybe one of the data recovery services could help, but they are not cheap.

Return to posts index

Gregg EshelmanRe: Unix Executable files anyone?
by on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:16:42 am

Try setting up a Macintosh emulator like Sheep Shaver. If the disks were burned in HFS Standard and hybrid with some format your non-Mac OS can read (usually ISO 9660 or Joliet) then you may be able to get your files through the emulator.

Sheep Shaver emulates a PPC Powermac. It'll run Mac OS 8.6 through 9.0.4, but can be made to work with PPC supporting versions of System 7. Check out http://www.emaculation.com for more information.

Another possibility is to buy TransMac from Acute Systems to get the resource and data forks for your Quicktime videos off Mac format disks. My old site here has detailed instructions and a link to a Quicktime video flattener so you don't have to keep the two forks together in the same folder.

http://members.aceweb.com/gregg1/media100/exporting.html

Return to posts index

by on Nov 22, 2010 at 11:03:47 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll give those a try and report back.

Return to posts index

Eric PelletierRe: Unix Executable files anyone?
by on Nov 25, 2010 at 11:19:37 pm

Media 100 files which were burn to DVD in 2003

I might be totally out, but if they were M100 8.x.x quicktime, maybe you need older media 100 extensions/codecs to read them, codecs related to the Vincent 601 or p6000 cards. I remember having problems with older codecs on my mac pro back then... but can't remember how I fixed it...maybe they're just corrupted?!?!

Return to posts index

by on Nov 26, 2010 at 3:05:54 pm

It's not the content of the files that I'm having trouble with but the files themselves - they've somehow lost their 'souls' after burning to disc and are just not readable as bona fide mac files.

I actually don't need these anymore as it turns out so I'm not too worried - I'll try Greggs tips if I really find I really need to access them.

For a few years now I've pretty much kept everything 'live' on external HDs as the cost now makes this feasible (even with backups) and it's much quicker to access archive material when a client comes along several years later and whats to make an edit change!

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Return to posts index

Eric PelletierRe: Unix Executable files anyone?
by on Nov 26, 2010 at 3:16:01 pm

For a few years now I've pretty much kept everything 'live' on external HDs as the cost now makes this feasible (even with backups) and it's much quicker to access archive material when a client comes along several years later and whats to make an edit change!

Sorry for your files :-)

Talking about hard drives for backup, just want to share this with you :

turns out that some (hard) drives stop working after a number of years if you don't use them.
Happened to a lot of my clients wanting to retreive material and the drive just didn't boot- power up and it does not start spinning, aven the fan.... and when comes the time to change powersupply for these years old drives.. good luck

I tend to recommend more an more the use of DLT or some kind digital tapes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]