MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

SD import from XDCAM???

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark FrazierSD import from XDCAM???
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 2:41:51 pm

I finally upgraded my acquisition from BetaSP to XDCAM (disc format), but still output is still SD DVD. I am importing via USB connection to the Sony PDW-U1 disc drive. I would love to import footage as SD, as the HD files are gobbling up hard drive space at an alarming rate.

So far I've tried down-converting the files once they're imported and then deleting the HD files, but this is a bit time consuming. Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks!
Mark

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: SD import from XDCAM???
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:18:53 pm

[Mark Frazier] "So far I've tried down-converting the files once they're imported and then deleting the HD files, but this is a bit time consuming. Any thoughts from anyone?"

The XDCam import is a 2 step process. First the MXFs from the disc are moved over to the HD and rewrapped into Quicktime XDCam files; then these are imported into Media 100 into the selected codec (in HD). When using the "Import XDCam" command from within Media 100, these 2 steps are done automatically in one pass. But what you could do is to "manually" move the files with the XDcam Transfer software to your HD (turning off the pref setting in the XDCam Transfer software to open them automatically in Media 100), and then to import them into Media 100 via the Media 100 file import, forcing them to import into your selected codec and format with the checkbox at the bottom of the import dialog box. This way you eliminate the step of importing the files into Media 100 in HD and then having to downconvert them. And, you can later delete the XDCam .mov files, at least as long as you donĀ“t need them anymore (you can do that anyway, regardless if you did the "manual" import or the regular XDCam transfer import).

Return to posts index

Mark FrazierRe: SD import from XDCAM???
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:28:54 pm

Floh, as usual your info was spot-on. Once I realized that I needed to use "Import" rather than "Export" from the XDCam Transfer (a little backwards thinking, but so is shutting down a PC by hitting "Start"), the flow is much more what I need. And even having the HD QT movies as well as the SD M100 files on my drives, the space used is MUCH less than the HD M100 files.

BTW, I found this information nowhere in the XDCam Transfer or M100 manuals. Apparently we mere mortals are not privy to this knowledge.

Thanks for all of your help!

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]