MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Blu-Ray From Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael SloweBlu-Ray From Media 100
by on Oct 30, 2010 at 6:27:25 pm

I have encountered a disturbing problem. Whilst my SD DVD's encoded by BitVice (version 2.9.7) from an HD timelline (ProRes HQ) are of good picture quality my Blu-Ray encoded in Titanium Toast 10.0.8 are washed out and lacking contrast and good colour.

I know that BitVice was especially modified to take account of Media 100's unusual RGB structure and this now is fine. It occurs to me that Toast cannot deal satisfactorily with the colour space of Media 100.

I am working with Suite1.5, and ask if I am right in my thinking. How are other Media 100 users making their BD's? Would the use of Compressor and H264 deal with things any better contrast and colour wise?

Seems crazy to get better pictures from an SD DVD (upscaled through a BD player) than a BD encoded and burnt disc through the same player. Any advice would be much appreciated from the assembled experts, particularly Floh and the Media 100 team.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Blu-Ray From Media 100
by on Nov 2, 2010 at 1:56:15 pm

[Michael Slowe] "I know that BitVice was especially modified to take account of Media 100's unusual RGB structure and this now is fine. It occurs to me that Toast cannot deal satisfactorily with the colour space of Media 100."

If you use ProRes, the colorspace is the same as with files coming from e.g. FCP. One thing you could try is to do a QuickTime export from Media 100 using the "Computer 0-255" setting into ProRes and then burn it to BluRay with Toast. This theoretically should give the same results as a by reference export of ProRes only material, but maybe there is a difference (or a non-ProRes clip somewhere in your timeline).

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Blu-Ray From Media 100
by on Nov 2, 2010 at 4:36:32 pm

Thanks Floh, I've already been told that my Media 100 colour space point doesn't apply in my case as I'm in ProRes.

Where do I find this "Computer 0-255" setting in Media 100 before I export and why to ProRes when I'm already in it?

Many thanks for your speedy reply, I always have faith in Floh!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Blu-Ray From Media 100
by on Nov 2, 2010 at 4:39:44 pm

[Michael Slowe] "Where do I find this "Computer 0-255" setting in Media 100 before I export and why to ProRes when I'm already in it?"

In the File->Export dialog at the bottom; you can turn it on as soon as the "Export to" is set to Other->QuickTime. Why to ProRes? You could use any other codec you like, but ProRes is quite efficient. The export with the 0-255 setting makes sure that your file is definitely in the "right" colorspace. If a file exported this way is not encoded correctly then there is something wrong with the way Toast encodes the files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]