MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Long HD show exports black with audio

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David CrewsLong HD show exports black with audio
by on Oct 30, 2010 at 1:15:42 am

I'm exporting a long corporate HD show - 1 hour 16 minutes TRT. I've tried two times overnight (aprox 6 hour renders) and both times, I end up with a QT movie that has audio but no video - just black. I did two tests exporting sections of 1 to 5 minutes of the show by range, and those movie files turn out just fine, but doing the entire show gives me black.

I'm exporting full HD through the standard, simple h.264 compressor. The first run I did, I had it scale to 960x540, and the second render I had it stay at full size. Both times = black with audio, and files about 8-900MB in size. I assume that is just the size with no video-only audio, but I have over 150GB room on my drive. Would M100 drop back to audio only if it sees there is not enough space? Seems like it would simply abort in that situation.

Any ideas? Is this some kind of program length limit or something? I hope I'm missing something simple . . . :0

I'm running M100 HDe, v. 13.0.4 on a dual core Intel Mac running OSX 10.5.7 and 8GB RAM.

Thanks for your responses.

David

David P. Crews
CrewsCreative
Post Production - Motion Graphics - Original Music
http://www.CrewsCreative.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Long HD show exports black with audio
by on Nov 1, 2010 at 10:44:38 am

Is there a black clip at the start of the program? I've had issues with black clips before causing weird things to happen to the export.

Return to posts index

David CrewsRe: Long HD show exports black with audio
by on Nov 1, 2010 at 12:46:40 pm

Well, after lots of process of elimination, turns out it was the fault of one still image that was corrupted in some way. The image played fine on the time line, but when M100 tried to render it, it failed. What is concerning is that there was no way to know this without the extensive trial and error process of rendering short segments until I found the area where the problem was. Seems like M100 should be able to examine its own timeline and tell you if there is something there it doesn't like, or at least bail out of the render when it reaches a corrupt resource and put an error message so one can know what happened without wasting hours and days trying to find a needle in a haystack.

David

David P. Crews
CrewsCreative
Post Production - Motion Graphics - Original Music
http://www.CrewsCreative.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Long HD show exports black with audio
by on Nov 1, 2010 at 1:31:55 pm

Well done for finding the problem. I've come to realise that computer based editing is always going to throw up issues - just the nature of the beast and one of the main reason that the Cow exists. However, the guys at Media 100 should look at each issue as it comes to their notice and try and sort it out. Here's hoping...

This particular problem might have as much to do with QuickTime as Media 100. I would render any stills in AFX rather than putting them in the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]