MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 Vs. ???

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremy Rowell
Media 100 Vs. ???
on Oct 25, 2010 at 10:08:26 pm

I work for a television station that is part of a group of stations. I have 3 media 100's in my dept. and have been on M100 for over 10 years. My station is the only one that uses M100. Other stations use FCP, Premier and a couple others. The group managers are looking to have all the stations use the same software. It may be a losing battle, but I at least want to put up a fight! I've tooled around for a bit, but no major projects in other editors. Adobe premier and sony vegas have given me bad results. M100 does what I want, has a good workflow for us, is stable and intuitive, and I can teach it to anyone that walks through the door. How does it compare to other editing apps?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Media 100 Vs. ???
on Oct 26, 2010 at 10:12:02 am

I too am a big fan of Media 100, having graduated from editing film 15 years ago. I found it very similar to editing film in many ways as it is so intuitive and that is its strength when compared to other systems. Certainly anyone new to video editing is not going to find any other application so user friendly and as you said,it does all that is required and you could point out that most, particularly FCP, have a very steep learning curve for newcomers.

Maybe some aspects, such as colour grading and selection of frame areas, might be done better in FCP but generally Media 100 is, to my mind, far preferable.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Media 100 Vs. ???
on Oct 26, 2010 at 10:55:53 am

[jeremy Rowell] "M100 does what I want, has a good workflow for us, is stable and intuitive, and I can teach it to anyone that walks through the door. How does it compare to other editing apps?"

From my point of view this pretty much hits it. I firmly believe that Media 100 is the most intuitive professional nonlinear editing system out there, and it is extremely robust. We have a variety of different solutions within our company, and the ones that are the easiest to keep running and to teach to newbies is Media 100. Plus, it never had any issues with damaged timelines/project files like other systems have occasionally.
These days the hardware is not the big differentiating factor anymore, since FCP, Premiere and Media 100 can run on the same Kona (or Blackmagic or Matrox) boards. So the costs are pretty much the same for hardware anyway. And since we are speaking about professional productions, I think everybody should work in an environment he is comfortable with; while it probably is not a bad idea to have Final Cut Studio on your editing systems as well, I think not having Media 100 would be a big mistake.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]