MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

media search

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Schefflermedia search
by on Oct 20, 2010 at 9:35:06 pm

Flo, I have been speaking with Matt at Media 100 and he suggested I ask you a couple questions I have about setting up Media 100 with a SAN. Of course, tips from anyone will be appreciated. This is my first time posting on Creative Cow, let me know if I didn't give enough info.

The education company I work for used Media 100i systems for years before switching to FCP. We have a Xsan system which I am using for testing purposes but we will be upgrading that as well when we switch to Media 100. I am looking at getting a Studio Network Solutions EVO for the SAN. I am wondering if the following setup sound workable.

Would like to get a 32 T SAN but 16 T may be all that is in the budget this year, if I do go with the 16 T we will use some Synology NASs we have. Currently I am testing using NAS storage devices and the Xsan we already own.

SAN- media files acquired live from all 4 studios
NAS 1 (we will be using 3 NASs)- Media 100 projects from 4 studios and 5 editing suites
NAS 2- exports from 4 studios and 5 editing suites, export video will be imported to projects in all studios/suites
NAS 3- media files acquired from all 5 editing suites

The 4 studios computers connected to a SAN using 2G fiber channel and to the NASs using a Gigabit ethernet connection.

The 5 editing room computers connected to the SAN using iSCSI over ethernet (for editing, not capture) and to the NASs (for capture) using a Gigabit ethernet connection.

Most of our Macs are Intel but we do have a couple PPC G5s. Most are on OS 10.5.7, a couple are 10.5.8.

When I reboot the computer I used for capturing, or open the project on a different computer it can't find the media. If I go to media locations the media folder is listed but is red and in italics. If I double click on the folder name find the correct folder and hit open my media re-links. It stays linked if I close and reopen the project but not if I reboot or switch to a different computer. I also have to re-select media destinations. The project files and media folder are stored in the same place regardless of which computer I am on. If possible I would like to be able to move between computers without re-linking.

Matt said it may be a problem with the order the drives are mounted when the computers boot.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved