MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

AVCHD conversion

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Murray FergusonAVCHD conversion
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 12:30:34 am

I have some AVCHD material I need to edit. Now I know the latest M100 version can deal with this via Clipwrap, but I’m currently on version 13.02, and would prefer not to upgrade to the latest version till after my current project is complete. Though I will if I have to.
To test the workflow, I downloaded the trial version of clipwrap. An 8 sec is wrapped into a .mov file in a flash and creates a similar sized file of around 22MB.
But when this file is imported into M100, using M100HD codec, the resulting file is 771MB.
Using DVCProHD, the file is 107MB. Perhaps if I had access to a Prores codec, it would be smaller, I don’t know. (In case you’re wondering, I can’t use Prores till I upgrade FCP, and I can’t upgrade FCP till I upgrade my G5) Also the import process takes about 3 min, for an 8 sec clip.
I was wondering if someone could tell me why these files are so huge, and why it’s taking so long? Is it simply the nature of these codecs?
And would the result be any different using the new M100 version with AVCHD support?
Would appreciate any suggestions, thanks

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: AVCHD conversion
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 9:49:24 am

[Murray Ferguson] "Using DVCProHD, the file is 107MB. Perhaps if I had access to a Prores codec, it would be smaller, I don’t know. (In case you’re wondering, I can’t use Prores till I upgrade FCP, and I can’t upgrade FCP till I upgrade my G5) Also the import process takes about 3 min, for an 8 sec clip.
I was wondering if someone could tell me why these files are so huge, and why it’s taking so long? Is it simply the nature of these codecs? "

It is taking so long because you are on a G5, and it naturally is much slower than the new Multicore MacPro systems. Most of the software is highly optimized for the Intel architecture. And of course an uncompressed file is much much bigger than the native AVCHD clips. With the ClipWrap and AVCHD codec you could edit natively from the small files; or even if you would transcode to ProRes you probably would end up with files comparable in size to the DVCProHD files, but with better quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]