MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HD Output

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug CalhounHD Output
by on Oct 11, 2010 at 5:03:55 pm

Hi all, I'm hoping for some advice as to the best way to prepare footage for a DVD encode. I have an 80 min 720p program I need to export for encoding through Compressor. The footage was imported as AppleProRes and takes the better part of a 2TB drive.

I'm wondering if I should output to lower rez since it will be going to an SD DVD or...?

Any advice is appreciated, this is my first HD program so I'm looking for advice on the best future proof workflow. At some point I may re-produce the DVD to Blu-Ray etc.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: HD Output
by on Oct 11, 2010 at 9:48:49 pm

I faced exactly your situation some years back.

I was advised to use the encoding software BitVice and never regretted it. The latest versions produce wonderful quality SD DVD's from an HD timeline. Their downscaling is really good and the results are, in my opinion and experience, superior to that obtained by using Compressor.

Blu-Ray is another matter altogether and I am just embarking on that road by using Titanium Toast 10 to do the encode. In which case of course there is no necessity for a downscale but you have to have a BD burner of course.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved