MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Recover Files after Crash?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
family tree video
Recover Files after Crash?
on Oct 6, 2010 at 10:15:31 pm

Hi,
If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated. I was in the middle of a project on Media 100 Version 8.2 when I lost electricity in the studio. Once power returned, I opened the project and it indicates all of the files are missing from the bin and program. Is there a way to recover those files and the project that was nearly completed?
***I just realized that my entire Media Drive is missing and non-existent on the computer (Mac OSX 10.3.9).Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Recover Files after Crash?
on Oct 7, 2010 at 9:24:33 am

So you are saying that your media drive does not show up on the Desktop? Is the media drive internal or external? If it is external, does it power up?

If you open "Disk Utility" (in the Applications->Utilities folder), can you see your media drive there? If yes and if it still does not mount, you probably should try running DiskWarrior on the drive; if you were digitizing while the power went down most likely the file structure of the drive is damaged; DiskWarrior most of the time can fix these problems.

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Oct 7, 2010 at 12:23:02 pm

Thank you for your help. It is an internal drive. It just "disappeared" yesterday. It was not on the desk top and it didn't appear in my admin window as it normally does. Also, none of the files in my open project were digitized anymore. I re-booted several times and nothing happened. This morning I re-booted one more time......and there it was. My media drive re-appeared on the desktop and in the admin window. And yes, it does appear in the Disk Utility folder. I checked my project and the files are restored.
I've been editing on this Media 100 version and this Mac for nearly 5 years now and this is the strangest thing I've seen. I'm still not sure what happened.
Again, thank you very much for taking the time to help. It is very much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 7, 2010 at 12:54:41 pm

If the project is important to you, then you definitely should backup the files from your media drive, e.g. to a cheap USB drive. It is not very likely, but since the drive did not show up yesterday it could be damaged by the power outage and could go offline anytime. Again, not very likely, but if the stuff is important I think the investment of maybe $50 could save you a lot of time and headaches.

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Oct 7, 2010 at 3:41:44 pm

I agree. I think that is a good suggestion and I plan to buy one. Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]