MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 and Snow Leopard

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sue DalyMedia 100 and Snow Leopard
by on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:04:12 pm

Apologies for my lack of technical talk and for being so out of date but can anyone advise me? I want to update my operating system from 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard. I know, everyone else did that years ago! Will my Media 100 run? I am using Media 100 HDe 12.1.1.

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media 100 and Snow Leopard
by on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:23:36 pm

V12.x is definitely not tested with Snow Leopard, and I am not sure if it will work at all. If you want to try it, make sure to install Snow Leopard on a second drive (clone your boot drive to a new one with Carbon Copy Cloner). This way you could downgrade to OSX 10.4.11 in case of a problem easily. Or upgrade Media 100, since the latest version definitely runs on Snow Leopard…

Return to posts index

Sue DalyRe: Media 100 and Snow Leopard
by on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:55:50 pm

Thanks Floh. I think it's time to up-grade my Media 100. Again, I'm not very techy with all this but can I ask another question? Can I up-grade by downloading from the Media 100 web site and, if yes, which version would you recommend? Am I right in assuming I have what's described as a hardware-based system? If I do that now I'm guessing it may not run until I up-grade my OS system?

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Media 100 and Snow Leopard
by on Aug 12, 2010 at 10:12:08 pm

Sue-
I think the upgrade is certainly worthwhile... but don't forget that you will likely have to upgrade the drivers for your i/o card, drivers for your RAID (if using one, which is kind of necessary for HD), and may have to update some other applications to work properly with Snow Leopard. For me its all been HIGHLY worth the effort. Just don't go into this (or any other upgrade) getting tripped up by not upgrading many related pieces of the puzzle. And, for the sake of your sanity, DON'T do a major upgrade WHILE you have live projects with hard deadlines. The Media 100 stuff will upgrade transparently, but the related upgrades may slow you down and this can be a major headache when on deadline. (IMHO.)

Return to posts index

Tyler BargRe: Media 100 and Snow Leopard
by on Aug 12, 2010 at 5:27:12 pm

Sue-

Floh is correct in assuming the older version you have will experience issues in Snow Leopard. If you are looking to get up and running with 10.6.x, we do have a brand new version of the Media100 software called Suite 1.6 that you can upgrade to. If you'd like to have a look, there's a trial version of the software up on the website that's good for 14 days.

If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch directly and I'll be more than happy to help:
tylerb @ borisfx . com

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: Media 100 and Snow Leopard
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 12:12:50 am

One thing that I have not seen in this thread is info about your hardware - are you running an Intel machine or an older Power PC? You will need an Intel machine to run Snow Leopard.

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2010 at 5:36:32 pm

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the advice. I've up-graded to Snow Leopard (I know, I must be the last person in the universe to do it!) and, as expected my old version of Media 100 won't run. I've taken your advice and opted to up-grade to Media 100 Suite 1.6. I bought it as a download from the M100/Boris web site, my payment has gone through and I've had a receipt for the payment. The only thing I've missed is where do I go to downland the upgrade? I've also had an email from M100 giving me the install code for the free 14 day trail but I've paid for the full upgrade.

Sorry again for being so un-techy!

Best regards,
Sue

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

Bruce McPhersonRe: Media 100 and Snow Leopard
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 9:40:54 am

Hi Sue
1/
Snow leopard is only for Intel based Macs - thats any Mac Pro Tower or any iMac without a "G" in its title.

The differance with Snow Leopard is that it is written only in Intel Code and runs simpler and faster than OS X 10.5 (and earlier versions)
because they have both codes (Intel and PPC) so you could run either at the time of changeover of code.
So to sum up in your case.
If you are running a G5 or G4, Snow leopard will not "see it" and its time for a new Intel box - even the basic Mac Pro will do unless you are a heavy user (big Photoshop files or two hour DVD's with lots of chapters.
Me, I like the look of the mew macpro with the 6cores...

2/
Media 100 downloads
Go to M100 site - downloads - down to the 10.6 -click on it and install it - the opening window has a info/code section
It is a trial version, within 14 days enter your code you have been sent, and the 14day bit is erased, its your's forever!!

Hope that helps
Bruce
Oh yes, click on the apple logo top left and it will tell you the type of Mac you have.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 7, 2010 at 1:35:12 pm

Thanks for that Bruce. Yes, I'm running on an Intel machine (2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon)
I've downloaded M100 Suite and it's here and working. (Well, I can open existing projects but haven't yet sussed how to get it to talk to my decks.)

Every time I open it it tells me I'm running a trail version with only 15 days to go, and counting. It asks for an unlock code to purchase the software although I've already paid and have had a receipt from Boris. Will they be sending me an unlock code before this trail period runs out?

Thanks again,
Sue

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media 100 and Snow Leopard
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 1:42:07 pm

[Sue Daly] "The only thing I've missed is where do I go to downland the upgrade? I've also had an email from M100 giving me the install code for the free 14 day trail but I've paid for the full upgrade."

After you have installed the trial version as described in the last post, you need to send the authorization request code from the Media 100 startup message to Media 100. They will create a permanent unlock code based on your individual request code.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]