MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Importing AVCHD via clipwrap - Redux

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Hamilton
Importing AVCHD via clipwrap - Redux
on Aug 5, 2010 at 4:12:59 pm

I have imported AVCHD footage 3 different ways. Clip 381 was an import from media100 via clipwrap. Clip 381-2 is a manual Media100 import of the re-wrapped clip from from clipwrap to the media standard and codec. Clip 381-3 is a manual import of the re-wrapped to the media standard and codec with "scale out of range RGB values" enabled. All the clips look different and have different reported datarates.

Here is a screenshot of bin info.

Here are screenshots of the actual clip, you can really notice the difference.

Clip 381
Clip 381-2
Clip 381-3

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Importing AVCHD via clipwrap - Redux
on Aug 6, 2010 at 4:10:47 pm

[Robin Hamilton] "All the clips look different and have different reported datarates."

The datarate in the Bin is just an average calculation, so it is not really an issue you should worry about. As you probably have seen e.g. during acquire, that even for the ProRes codecs there is a dynamic range of datarate, and not a fixed data rate. So the codec simply did a little bit different compression on each pass.

Regarding the different looks: When you do a file import into Media 100, it currently expects non-native Media 100 clips to be in the 16-235 colorrange. So if you e.g. import a file that you have exported as a by reference clip from a ProRes timeline, the re-imported clip will be too contrasty. Currently there are only some workarounds for this if you use the File->Import dialog. The Scale out of Range RGB values checkbox is no solution, unfortunately.

The AVCHD Import "knows" that the incoming files are in 0-255 RGB colorspace, so it interprets them correctly on import. The resulting clips should be as they were intended to be.

Return to posts index

Robin Hamilton
Re: Importing AVCHD via clipwrap - Redux
on Aug 6, 2010 at 6:50:52 pm

I find it interesting that Media 100 AVCHD import "knows" what the footage is, but a manual import is different. I only noticed it because I used the AVCHD to import about 100 clips and had to shut the machine down half-way through so I canceled the import. Clipwrap had finished re-wrapping, so I was later on able manually import the last half of clips - and the colors were different. It drove me crazy until I discovered re-importing the same clip using AVCHD import from the source gave me the right coloured video.

Thanks for your response Floh.

-Robin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]