MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

FCP XDCAM to Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric PelletierFCP XDCAM to Media 100
by on Aug 1, 2010 at 2:17:17 pm

I'm gonna be working on a project that originally comes from Final Cut Pro 7. XDCAM Files have been imported and assembled as an offline in a FCP timeline. My goal is to open this FCP timeline in Media 100 Suite (1.1.3). The client exported the timeline as an XML file and transfered all the «media files and folders» linked to the Final Cut project. Opening this timeline as an XML file in Media 100, it seems that each and every clips are rendered/imported as quicktime clips in the program. i realized these clips are imported in a QuickTime CODEC of my choice.

Question are :

Is it the way to go? Can't Media 100 read XDCAM files natively, or maybe in a later version?

Will the Media 100 program, if sent back to FCP via XML, open properly? Do I have to transfer the newly created QuicKtime files along? Or will it relink to the original XDCAM files in FCP?

Any feeback or a better way of doing this is more than welcomed.

Éric Pelletier

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: FCP XDCAM to Media 100
by on Aug 2, 2010 at 8:32:23 am

Media 100 does not support XDCam files natively (they are a flavor of MPEG2 interframe compression, and currently Media 100 does not support any interframe compressed material). So it is normal that the file get converted on import into a codec of your choice. If you send the XML back to FCP, you either can send your media files with it (making it easier in case you have to get it back again); or the FCP operator could try relinking to the original XDCam files (not sure if this will work 100% reliable, though).

Return to posts index

Eric PelletierRe: FCP XDCAM to Media 100
by on Aug 4, 2010 at 6:27:46 pm

wow, thanks
this confirms it's behaving as expected. And we can easily work it out as QuickTime from there anyway.

Just one thing that comes to my mind though. I don't think this is likely to happen, but let's say I want to trash these media files for drive space matters and one day I want to re-acquire/batch re-acquire these files from the existing timeline, how do I proceed. Is there simply a way to do so, since this media have been imported?

Pretty scary!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved