MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HD import and Pro res 422

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Calhoun
HD import and Pro res 422
on Jul 30, 2010 at 3:37:40 pm

Hi all,

I have a simple question. I'm shooting on a JVC Hm700U and when importing footage into M100 Suite 1.5.1, is there a reason I should be importing into ProRes 422? I'm importing native 35mbps .mov files in 1280
x720. Converting to ProRes422 (not HQ) increases the file size. What is standard convention here and the reasoning if you're able to give me some input.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: HD import and Pro res 422
on Jul 31, 2010 at 6:02:59 pm

The camera records in MPEG2@35MBit. MPEG2 editing currently is not supported natively in Media 100, therefore the transcode to e.g. ProRes. ProRes is a pretty good editing codec, so you should get a brilliant image quality at relatively low data rates.

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmond
on Jul 31, 2010 at 6:10:51 pm

Hi Doug,

I just got the HM700 (love it so far) and I use the Media 100 HD compression (Project Settings>Codecs>Media 100 HD). I haven't tried using Apple ProRes. I'm just using a cheap card reader through the USB port, open the clip folder and drag and drop the .mov file onto my bin window. It imports fairly quickly, even on my old G5 PPC.

Return to posts index

Doug Calhoun
on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:45:18 pm

Thanks Floh and Peter. So if, like Peter, I simply import the footage without selecting "Import Media to the Media Standard and Codec" it simply imports as Media100 HD? I guess I'm unsure why the files size becomes 30% larger.....and whether for that increase ProRes is the better Codec.

I plan on a collect and archive when I'm done and I'm assuming ProRes 422 is ideal?

Thanks in advance....

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:50:49 pm

[Doug Calhoun] " So if, like Peter, I simply import the footage without selecting "Import Media to the Media Standard and Codec" it simply imports as Media100 HD?"

No, it uses whatever codec you have selected in the Media Settings. 30% sounds more like ProRes or probably even DVCProHD than Media 100 HD codec; Media 100 HD codec is uncompressed, which probably is ~15 times bigger (1500%) than your original files. If you want great quality at low data rates you should use ProRes.

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmond
on Aug 3, 2010 at 9:24:51 pm

I don't even have the option of using ProRes -- it cannot be selected when I go to start a new project. I'm not sure why, and if someone could tell me I would appreciate it. I'm using Suite version 1.6.1, but it's on an older G5 dual 2.7 Ghz Mac, with OS 10.5.8. I can't upgrade to Snow Leopard until I get a new Mac Pro later this month. Does the older operating system have anything to do with it?

Return to posts index

Doug Calhoun
on Aug 3, 2010 at 9:41:13 pm

Peter, you should be able to see the option under Project Settings-->Codecs once HD is selected. You can also select it when importing via File--> Import and selecting the Media Standard.
~D

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmond
on Aug 4, 2010 at 4:10:46 am

Yes, it's there, but it's grayed out. Always.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Aug 4, 2010 at 8:18:14 am

[Peter DeArmond] "Yes, it's there, but it's grayed out. Always."

The full ProRes Codec is part of FinalCutStudio. The ProRes decoder for Playback is part of QuickTime. So I am guessing you donĀ“t have the full ProRes codec installed on your system.

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmond
on Aug 4, 2010 at 2:57:36 pm

That's it, Floh, thanks.

Return to posts index

Doug Calhoun
on Aug 3, 2010 at 9:56:48 pm

Thanks Floh, I appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>