MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Transitions disappearing when moving edits

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin HamiltonTransitions disappearing when moving edits
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 9:38:33 pm

We recently just did a multi-chapter DVD. The whole edit was on one timeline with black in between each section, and each section exported for transcoding for DVD. After this was done there was a request made to compress the entire show for the web. There was a little too much black between each section so I tightened up the gaps by using "select from here" to move large edited pieces closer together. After exporting the show and compressing it, I noticed that there were a few transitions that disappeared. Also, there were transitions added to clips after a transition occurred on some tails left on the video. (The transition would end, then cut back to the previous shot for a few frames, then back to the proper shot.) Here is a link to a screen capture of what I'm talking about. I thought I may have inadvertently somehow added the cut back to the clip, but I am able to randomly reproduce the problem by selecting all clips and moving them along the timeline.

I remember losing transitions or transitions becoming unrendered on our old v7 M100 when selecting sections and moving them along the timeline. I was hoping that would been fixed. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a workaround?

Return to posts index

Robin HamiltonRe: Transitions disappearing when moving edits
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 9:55:11 pm

I forgot to mention we are running M100 Suite v1.5.

Also I am aware that cleaning all clip tails will help solve my second problem, but it won't stop the transitions from disappearing. For some reason I am a little afraid of the clean program button for fear of strange things happening.

-RH

-Robin Hamilton

Motion Graphics Designer
Visual Productions

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Transitions disappearing when moving edits
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 9:14:57 am

The "Clean Program" always has been 100% reliable to me, and I use it very very often. So personally I think there is no reason not to use it.

The Transition disappearing problem happened to me also some times; usually this is because there is a problem somewhere in the timeline, like a "bad cut" or transition. Problem is that I still haven´t found a way to reproduce this problem, in other words I don´t have an idea how these bad cuts find their way into a timeline. Once it is there, the app gets confused about its transitions/cut points, and therefore sometimes accidentally removes or adds transitions or cuts when moving clips. Personally this happens very rarely to us; problem is that as long as there is no way to reproduce the steps leading to such a bad cut, finding the reason for it and fixing it is pretty hard.

There were some additional situations where this could happen on V7, and some have been fixed; but obviously there is still a situation when this can happen.

Floh

Return to posts index

olof ekberghRe: Transitions disappearing when moving edits
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 12:53:17 pm

I have a long timeline more than an hour, that I have to keep modifying for a client. It has a few of those "bad transitions" every time I move the clips they get corrupted and I fix them. But the next time it happens again.

I can put this program up on an ftp site if someone wants to check it, to find out why it happens.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Transitions disappearing when moving edits
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 12:55:55 pm

Yeah, problem is that the question is not why this happens, but how the bad transitions got into the timeline the first place. That is the part I still was not able to figure out.

Return to posts index

olof ekberghRe: Transitions disappearing when moving edits
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 2:39:14 pm

Do you think it may have something to do with a clip that has been moved from a super track down to the V track and then had a transition applied.

I have sometimes had problems with clips that have been moved between V-tracks and supers.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]