MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Batch Reacquire - but tapeless!?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinBatch Reacquire - but tapeless!?
by on Jul 15, 2010 at 1:32:14 pm

Having recently moved from tape-based production to XDCAM EX, which I'm loving for the most part, one aspect of the workflow is unclear to me.

How do you reacquire the clips for a timeline (program) from the original XDCAM rushes if the digitised media is lost due to a disk failure for example?

For example:

imported 2 clips from XDCAM Transfer into a M100 bin, dropped them onto a timeline and then deleted the clip media files in the bin but not the clips themselves, so now the clips in the timeline are italicised with no media.

Obviously if it was tape you would batch reacquire and all would be well - there must be a tapeless equivalent - but not that I can see.

I tried importing the clips again into the bin (so now have 4 clips) but of course the clips in the timeline have no relationship to these.

Someone must have worked this out?

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Batch Reacquire - but tapeless!?
by on Jul 15, 2010 at 2:47:38 pm

I'm sure you'll get an answer to that Andy but not from me. What I am concerned about in a similar context is how can you set centre panning on audio tracks as they are imported through XDCAM Transfer? I find it a real pain having to change the panning every time I drag a clip to the timeline. I know that this can be done for the complete audio track all at once but that's no good if you have music at any point on that track because you probably want that to remain left/right. Any ideas anyone please?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jim WilcoxRe: Batch Reacquire - but tapeless!?
by on Jul 15, 2010 at 3:08:08 pm

Batch reacquire from any tapeless format is not currently available with Media 100. Same goes with any batch pan center audio. I know both are on their radar and would guess the audio might be something we could see, but I don't hold out a lot of hope for the former.

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Batch Reacquire - but tapeless!?
by on Jul 15, 2010 at 4:17:16 pm

Thanks JIm

A way of linking timelines to tapeless media is pretty important I would say and it can't be that difficult as long as the clip names and T/C stay the same. Not sure if FCP or Premier are any better in this respect?

It would be nice to hear from Media 100 about the chances of this in a future release.

Return to posts index

Jim WilcoxRe: Batch Reacquire - but tapeless!?
by on Jul 15, 2010 at 8:01:39 pm

Couldn't agree more. FCP does work will with "reacquiring" tapeless. I can only speak to P2, but I would imagine that it would be the same. I have worked with Premiere quite a bit as well, but only with native AVC-I and P2 directly from a drive as opposed to transcoding from drive media.

I know the folks are aware of this issue, but I could not speak to when/how this would be addressed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved