MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Settings for HD footage in SDe edit system

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian johnstonSettings for HD footage in SDe edit system
by on Jul 13, 2010 at 3:42:59 pm

We just rec'd our new Panasonic HPX370P P2 cams (HD). Unfortunately, we still air and edit in SD (media 100 SDE version 13.0.4). We're looking to maximize our picture quality, but aren't sure what codec/settings to shoot in. Does anybody have any quick recommendations that will maximize picture quality and not eat up P2 space so quickly?

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Settings for HD footage in SDe edit system
by on Jul 13, 2010 at 6:11:05 pm

Might it not be sensible to shoot in HD but when importing set your codec within Media 100 to ProRes? That's what I do with EX HD material. That way you preserve the picture quality one stage further but save lots of drive space as this codec is very efficient in that regard. Edit then in ProRes and wait as long as possible in the process before downscaling to your required SD codec. However I think you are trying to save space on the camera card? Can't help you there I'm afraid, don't know the camera.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

jeremy RowellRe: Settings for HD footage in SDe edit system
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 10:11:45 pm

I am shooting on this same camera. Right now I shoot 480 -59.94 DVCPRO50/60i (aspect conversion set to squeeze to get 16x9) And the video looks awesome.
If I do any Green screen work, I will bump up to 1080i, DVCPRO50. The AVCI recording will gain you some P2 space, but when I upgraded the media 100 to the newest version that supports AVCI It stopped letting me import P2 so I had to step back version. There might have been a fix released, but I'll wait till the dust settles.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved