MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Capture Format

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Condez
Capture Format
on Jun 29, 2010 at 8:32:36 pm

Hi, I'm currently using 1.6 trial version. I would like to know if there is a way to capture HDV format which does not require to much throughput because I'm using only 2 sata drives of 1TB each. Is that possible? Which settings should I be using? I currently use an xserve which has those 2 internal drives. I use a Kona 3 to capture video which I tried with SCSI raid with no problem before but I would like to use the internal SATA drives instead. Please advice me to any combination possible. Thanks

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Capture Format
on Jun 30, 2010 at 11:32:09 am

Depends on the quality you want to get. You could go DVCProHD, which is 100Mbit/sec, or ProRes Proxy if you want to go lower. For broadcast quality I would go for ProRes 422, which should be possible with your 2 SATA drives.

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
on Jun 30, 2010 at 4:30:24 pm

Thanks Floh, Got it working with the settings you gave me. From 1.5 hours of capture time to 14+ hours.
What is the difference between ProRez 422 and the HQ version? I dont have a high end HD monitor but how much is the difference between capturing ProRez 422 compared to 10 bit uncompressed? Many thanks again. - Gerry

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jun 30, 2010 at 5:01:19 pm

422 vs HQ: I don´t see much difference here. Only thing I would avoid is acquiring 422 for complicated greenscreen work. Then I would go HQ or 4444. No need to go Uncompressed these days. All the codecs are 10 bit (at least when getting 10 bit source footage).
At least this is my opinion…

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]