MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Exporting Timecode

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary StoneExporting Timecode
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 4:19:26 am

Does anyone know if it's possible to export - and display - the original timecode of clips? All I seem to get is the counter starting at zero.

T.I.A.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Exporting Timecode
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 10:00:00 am

[Gary Stone] "Does anyone know if it's possible to export - and display - the original timecode of clips? All I seem to get is the counter starting at zero. "

Quicktime files captured in Media 100 do have an integrated Timecode track these days. You can display the TC e.g. in QuickTime player. If you want to convert them e.g. for client viewing, you could add a TC overlay in Compressor while converting to H.264

Return to posts index

Gary StoneRe: Exporting Timecode
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 12:48:32 pm

Thanks Floh... I'll check into that. I was just hoping that M-100 would have a smoother, integrated option.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Exporting Timecode
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 3:43:53 pm

We had something very similar to this come up a few months back. However that was more specific to creating a 21st century equivalent of "window burns," wherein you are providing the client with raw footage that they would then use to generate a list of preferred takes.

The way to do this is to digitize whole tapes or disks, lay that footage into a timeline, then simply set the timecode start for the timeline to that of the tape or disk. Then output with M100's built-in timecode burn in and viola -- you've got it. Granted if there are a lot of camera starts and stops or any kind of a break in the original timecode you may drift a few frames in your window burn copy. Then again the vast majority of clients these days don't even seem able to comprehend frames and when indicating specific seconds easily are off by a few.

Of course this method will NOT work with edited footage, just raw.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]