MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

JVC HM700 and Media 100HDe compatibility

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Karsner
JVC HM700 and Media 100HDe compatibility
on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:09:19 pm

I am considering purchasing the JVC HM700 camera. Does anyone have actual hands-on practical use of this camera on a Media 100 HDe suite? I have have downloaded some test files but did not get the results I was expecting. Is this camera a good fit with the Media 100? Are there file conversion issues? I know FCP is deemed the editor of choice for this camera but really want to stay with Media 100.

Thanks
Bob Karsner

Bob Karsner
Destiny Productions - Kentucky

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
Re: JVC HM700 and Media 100HDe compatibility
on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:26:44 pm

Bob,

I don't have experience with the camera but may be able to help you?

How are you bringing in the footage and what is unexpected about your result?

-Matt M.

Return to posts index

Bob Karsner
on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:17:18 pm

I must confess, I am just getting my feet wet with the HD side of the media 100. I have an HDe suite and I can see the footage playing on my computer screen but have not gotten very promising results out to a monitor. I've gone through all the settings in the "video out" preferences. What I did get for a brief period of time had what looked like a field dominance problem.

I guess I need to ask if my system is ready for HD. I was told by Media100 when I bought it that I was
(might have to upgrade my array though) I am running on a Mac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz. My footage is coming off an eSata array. I have only 3 gig of memory with an NVidia GeForce 6600.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Bob Karsner

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmond
on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:06:26 pm

Bob,

I've ordered the HM700 and it should be arriving late this week. I downloaded some test footage shot with the HM700 -- both 1080p and 720p -- and imported it easily into the demo version of Media 100 1.5. I'll be upgrading to that as soon as new Mac Pros come out. I do not have the HDe; currently on 12.1.3. Media 100 handles the HM700 video just as easily as FCP.

JVC promoted this camera and the HM100 as saving files in a format "native for Final Cut Pro," but the truth is, they should have included Media 100 in that fanfare. The files are .mov files! Media 100 -- like Final Cut Pro -- is based on Quicktime. It would be really strange if Media 100 couldn't open a .mov file.

I dearly wish someone from JVC would clarify this. Evidently they are either unaware that there is a significant Media 100 user base, or else Apple didn't want them promoting anything but FCP when they licensed the use of Quicktime.

The fact that I can drag and drop files into Media 100 from the 700U without transcoding is one of the major reasons I decided to buy that camera.

Return to posts index

Bob Karsner
on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:20:16 pm

I am running on 11.5.1 Am I going to have to move up into the Intel based system? I was told by Media 100 that was not necessary when I bought this system a couple of years ago.

Bob Karsner

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmond
on Jun 7, 2010 at 7:22:03 pm

Media 100 Suite will run on a PPC Mac, but I strongly recommend upgrading to a new model. Let's face it, the Macs that you and I have are at least 5 years old. As good and reliable as Macs are, 5 years is really old for video editing boxes. We can't upgrade to Snow Leopard unless we get an Intel Mac, and forget about running the latest versions of After Effects and Photoshop; they're Intel-only now. Gotta get the new box. And get as much RAM as you can afford -- least 8 GB, preferably 16.

And... the newer Macs use PCIe, not the PCIx cards that we're using now on our old G5s. You can get a good, affordable and fast one from http://www.MacGurus.com

Return to posts index

Doug Calhoun
on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:47:36 pm

Bob,

I edit on M100Suite 1.5 and own the camera. The files come in once transcoded into the M100 codec. They don't import like they do in FCP. It's a painless process but not the same as FCP. The footage looks fantastic- no worries, although I shoot in 720p as that's the camera's Native rez.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]