MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

FCP Hype???

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent WrightFCP Hype???
by on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:18:59 am

Seriously. I want to know what all the hype is with FCP. I have used FCP and find it so much slower to use than M100. 90% of editing is cuts and dissolves. A razor blade to make a cut? Really? And then switch back to the arrow? I would love to know what the top 5 disadvantages are of using M100 is over FCP. Anyone? Is it cost? Is it flexibility? Is it features? I use XDCam. Sometimes I use the studio deck and bring the footage in through the AJA, especially when I want to offline, first. I can review the footage as I bring it in and adjust the quality in order to save on disc space. Then re-digitize the final product. Sometimes I use the XDCam Transfer software from Sony. It just seems that FCP didn't bother to sit down with editors and find the easiest and quickest solutions for most editing situations. If I went and got fully trained on FCP, would I walk away from my M100 and never look back?

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmondRe: FCP Hype???
by on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:33:40 am

Well Kent, your post should stimulate a good discussion. My perspective:

Years ago, when Media 100 was under different ownership, the product was having problems (to put it diplomatically), and I think many customers switched out of desperation to FCP. They stayed with FCP as that product seemed to be developed more aggressively and had Apple's resources behind it. Of course, we all know FCP today has a huge user support community, it's big in Hollywood, etc.

However, ever since Boris took over Media 100, I've seen huge improvements and I'm glad I stayed with it all these years. I'm like you -- I tried FCP and found that I much preferred Media 100 -- but I was almost afraid to admit it because everyone I knew was jumping on the FCP bandwagon.

I think it all comes down to a combination of personal preference, workflow needs and productivity. Ironically, IMHO, I think Media 100 is more of a "Mac-like" product than FCP. By that I mean it's more intuitive and far easier to learn, again, IMHO. If I switched to FCP, I know I would have to commit to some serious learning-curve time. It's never been that way with Media 100. And yet... I know a lot of FCP users who did walk away from Media 100 and, as you say, never looked back. If they're happy and productive with FCP, I would be the last to criticize their decision, just as I would not want them to knock me for using Media 100. I just wish they would take a look at Media 100 today, because they would be pleasantly surprised.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: FCP Hype???
by on Jun 4, 2010 at 11:02:49 am

Peter, don't be so 'diplomatic', the previous owners were reprehensible in their behaviour, both to the employees and engineers and the customers. It darn nearly killed Media 100 for ever but our patience in sticking with it and the heaven sent intervention of Boris saved the day.

I totally agree that we now have an editing tool as good as any in the world and, importantly, far easier and faster to use than FCP. I do know editors who deserted to FCP and they seem very happy and do great work but maybe they are more savvy than I am with the technicalities, I just want to produce good stuff without having to go through all the hoops learning a far more complicated system.

Thank goodness Media 100 were quick on the ball in supporting the new EX XDCAM media and this is an example of how the Boris team are keen to keep up with the game. Long may this continue and may I thank The Cow for making it possible for us to share our experiences and our problems when they (rarely) arise.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: FCP Hype???
by on Jun 4, 2010 at 9:07:31 pm

[Kent Wright] "A razor blade to make a cut? Really? And then switch back to the arrow?"

You're reading from my songbook. M100 is a much faster interface in general. Smarter, too in that the A/B tracks layout is far more logical than is butting two clips up together, only to then find out when applying a transition that the head or tail media for the transition doesn't exist.

Fact of the matter is FCP does have some cool things, mostly the other programs that come with it and the way that they integrate. But with XML interchange to/from Color, a feature introduced with version 13, that's almost as easy as it is with FCP to/from Color. I think it's fair to say that most NLEs on the market have their own special tools. There's several features in high end Avid systems that I'd love to have at my disposal -- just not enough to go for the high end price tag and yet another learning curve.

It's been said for a while now by others as well as in the three reviews I've written about Media 100 -- the programs greatest strength is that while it has lots of features you can get to, it doesn't make you wade through them to accomplish simple stuff.

I don't care if FCP has 1.5 million uses. I make money with our Media 100 systems so that's why I'm a fan.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: FCP Hype???
by on Jun 5, 2010 at 3:43:17 pm

[Nick Griffin] "I don't care if FCP has 1.5 million uses."

Oops. I meant to type users.

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: FCP Hype???
by on Jun 5, 2010 at 6:21:51 pm

Kent, it would be interesting for you to also post your original message in the FCP forum.

I think that you would get a more balanced perspective.

Return to posts index

Jim WisemanRe: FCP Hype???
by on Jun 6, 2010 at 1:14:43 am

Well, unless Steve gets less mesmerized by the iCrap and pays some attention to FCP and MacPro computers I'm sticking with M100. Speaking as an ex dealer of Avid, and M100. Still can't wrap my head around FCP.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 1.1.2, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi Avid MC, Macbook Pro Core2Duo, G5 Quadcore PCIe, Media 100i/XR

Return to posts index

Nick LammersRe: FCP Hype???
by on Jun 6, 2010 at 1:23:26 am

Kent raises great points. I was a long time M100 user and switched to FCP after a merger with another company that was already deep into FCP. Funny, they were M100 users who switch to FCP because of M100's "dark years of uncertainty." After using FCP for nearly a year now, I would jump back to M100 in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. Much easier to use, much more intuitive. Of course, there are a couple things I like better in FCP but not enough!

Nick Lammers
Med21, LLC
St. Louis, MO

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: FCP Hype???
by on Jun 6, 2010 at 10:42:20 am

I'm much comforted by Jim's admission that he can't get his head around FCP. I often feel ashamed to admit that I daren't even try. Started NLE after years of film editing in 1996 on Media 100 and found the transition so intuitive. I'm sure that it would not have been so with any other system. Mind you the people who use FCP seem very happy and do great work but it is interesting to hear some say they still hanker after Media 100 even after they deserted it.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jim WisemanRe: FCP Hype???
by on Jun 6, 2010 at 11:15:29 am

Thank goodness M100 now supports HD, Kona, etc. Anyone want to buy an ioHD?

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 1.1.2, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi Avid MC, Macbook Pro Core2Duo, G5 Quadcore PCIe, Media 100i/XR

Return to posts index

Rosie WalunasRe: FCP Hype???
by on Jul 5, 2010 at 2:46:59 am

I haven't used Media100. But, I have a response to, "A razor blade to make a cut? Really? And then switch back to the arrow?"

In FCP, if you would like to make a cut, you can either set In and Out points, used the razor blade, or use a fast and easy keyboard short cut: "ctrl v"

Making cuts with one swift hand movement, one doesn't even have to switch between the Arrow or Blade tools. But, FYI, to do so, one would simply type between A and B or BB on the keyboard.

I don't know how many professional companies still use Media100, but I've definitely encountered more industry people using Final Cut and or AVID than Media100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]