MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

PAL SD (DVCAM) on a 720p timeline.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul CrowePAL SD (DVCAM) on a 720p timeline.
by on May 28, 2010 at 6:24:01 am

Hi Folks,

I'm using M100 suite V1.5.1 on a grunty mac pro tower. Running standard leopard 10.5.8 at the moment.

I've got a 720p time line and I'm using the standard ProRes 422 codec. Which is all good for the 720p footage I'm handling but the thing is I'm having to include some 16:9 DVCAM SD (via FW on a DVCAM deck) can anyone please step me through the best workflow for trying to get the SD footage off tape and onto the HD720p 50fps timeline. I'm in PAL land.

Any help or tips with this would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Matthew MullenRe: PAL SD (DVCAM) on a 720p timeline.
by on May 28, 2010 at 1:46:18 pm

You're not going to be able to mix Interlaced and Progressive footage on the same program.

You will need to convert the interlaced footage with an application like Compressor or Sorenson Squeeze.

Return to posts index

Paul CroweRe: PAL SD (DVCAM) on a 720p timeline.
by on May 29, 2010 at 9:09:16 am

Okay. Cool thanks Matt. That makes sense.

I don't have squeeze. So I guess my question is whats the best way to do this using compressor?
For example do I digitise the SD into FCP (or M100) and then export to compressor (as what?) and then output it to 720p (at what settings?) bit rates etc etc. Sorry to get into the nitty gritty, but this is the kind of help I'm after. I've never had to do this before. And I just thought I might be able to benefit from others experience.

Return to posts index

Christopher KinsmanRe: PAL SD (DVCAM) on a 720p timeline.
by on May 30, 2010 at 5:02:05 am

Hey Paul, If you don't have access to a terranex upconvert, or any of the other sd to hd converters - you'll have to settle for compressor. why don't you digitize as pro res hq via firewire - then set your compressor settings to the right frame size 1280X720, keep it pal and stay in the pro res hq codec. That should be the least amount of conversions by the time you go to output.
Best of Luck!
Kind Regards,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved