MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 HD Import Crashes

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danielle DeLucia
Media 100 HD Import Crashes
on May 27, 2010 at 3:50:52 pm

Hi all-

I have both an iMac with OS 10.5.8, 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4 GB RAM and a Mac Pro with 10.5.8 and 2.666 Ghz Quad Core Xeon Processor with 6 GB RAM. Both are running Media 100 Producer v 13.0.5 and whenever I try to import HD footage on either system the software completely crashes. All SD imports totally normally as it always has. I am using Apple Pro Res 422 Codec, and it does not seem to matter whether it is drop frame or non-drop frame or whether it is Real Time or deferred HDV Transcode or whether I come in from a deck or the camera- all crash the same way. I have imported and edited HD on at least the iMac in the past. Any idea what is going on? Thanks in advance.

Danielle

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
Re: Media 100 HD Import Crashes
on May 27, 2010 at 4:29:50 pm

Danielle,

Are you Importing or Acquiring from tape?

does it crash immediately? This is HDV footage coming Fire Wire?

If you are getting a crash log could you send it to support@media100.com

-Matt M.

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLucia
on May 27, 2010 at 5:05:36 pm

Hi Matt-

We are acquiring from tape. You press play in the window, the deck rolls and you can see the footage playing on the deck itself, but the computer hangs up for a second and then immediately crashes- we never see the footage on the computer's monitor window and we don't even get the opportunity to click start to acquire. Yes, it is HDV footage coming from a Sony HVR- M25U HDV deck connected to the systems via firewire. No crash log that I see when it happens, but if you can tell me where to look, I can check. Thanks!

Danielle

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on May 27, 2010 at 5:52:45 pm

when it crashes does it give you an error screen. It should give you the option to generate an error report.

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLucia
on May 27, 2010 at 6:16:39 pm

As far as I can see, there is no option for an error report. Once the footage starts to acquire, the program completely closes out to the desktop.

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on May 27, 2010 at 6:19:07 pm

Hmm, so no error messages at all?

Let's first try trashing prefs.

Navigate to the Mac HD> Users> Current User> Library> Preferences.

In here locate and delete the Media 100 and/or media 100 Suite preferences
folders.

Also there should be some files that begin Com.Media100. Delete all of
these except the com.media100.Registration.plist file

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLucia
on May 27, 2010 at 6:55:31 pm

I see the following:

Media 100 Producer Preferences folder with these contents:
Current Config
Media 100 xq Pedestal Setting
NTSC
PAL

Also seeing separate files:
com.media100.media100producer.plist
""registration.plist (one to keep)

That's all I can see that's m100 related, some Boris/Composite Suite pref files. Does that sound right?

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on May 27, 2010 at 7:21:23 pm

I've also had this happen to me recently - trashing the prefs worked... until I changed the import settings to SD for a project and then back to HD... then it crashed again... until I deleted prefs again. Working NTSC, from tape via firewire, Suite 1.5.1

HTH

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on May 27, 2010 at 7:31:47 pm

Yes Danielle, try trashing those files and let me know if it helps at all.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on May 27, 2010 at 8:02:23 pm

You might be able to get away with trashing only the NTSC pref - I think that's what worked for me. If that doesn't do it, then do as Matt suggests.

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLucia
on May 27, 2010 at 8:13:38 pm

Thank you both, we really appreciate the info! We will attempt this at some point, and hope for a successful outcome.

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLucia
on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:14:48 pm

Hi guys-

Deleting the preferences did not work, but I may have gotten a error report- will send along to Media 100.

In the meantime, do you have any other ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:30:31 pm

Danielle,

I looked at the crash log real quick.

It looks like it could be crashing on a QuickTime related component.

Could you either post here or e-mail to support the contents of your QuickTime Components folder.

It's located in Mac HD> Library> QuickTime

A screen shot in list view will be fine.

Matt M.

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLucia
on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:26:50 pm

Here are the contents of our QT folder- let me know what you think. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:50:59 pm

Try pulling the iChat component out (just move it to the desktop).

Then re-launch and try again.

Let me know if it still crashes. If it does what is the codec of the footage you are importing.

could you send a clip via yousendit.com to mattm@borisfx.com

Matt M.

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLucia
on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:00:01 pm

Hi Matt-

It did still crash after removing the iChat plugin. I am acquiring off a DV tape, not really "importing", and I am using the Apple Pro Res 422 codec.

Danielle

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:04:16 pm

If this DV or HDV?

You are on 13.0.5?

Have you tried other codecs? Is this Pro Res 422 or Pro res 422 HQ.

What is the camera/deck you are importing from?

What are your video input settings?

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLucia
on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:35:01 pm

Hi Matt-

It is HDV, and yes we are on 13.0.5. I have tried all the other HD codecs as well- nothing mattered. It is regular Pro Res 422, NOT HQ. Footage is coming in on a Sony HVR-M25U deck. Import settings are:

Source in: HD Firewire HDV
HDV Transcode: Real Time (have also tried deferred with no success)
Source standard and Media Standard are: 1080i 29.97.

I believe these are the exact same settings that I have imported HD footage in previously and had no issues.

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:19:55 pm

Danielle,

What I would like to have you do is run the trial of the latest version of M100 suite 1.5.1.

Could you test and see if you can bring your footage in that way?

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLucia
on Aug 17, 2010 at 4:39:20 pm

with the suite 1.5.1 trial, we are able to see the HDV importing. Aside from a few sync drop outs, the major problem is that it does not produce a visible bin where you can see your clips. The project window shows a bin (but almost an offline looking bin) When you click on the bin in the project window, nothing appears. There's no bin window with the clips in it. We've tried deferred, realtime. The footage gets transcoded, but you never see a bin window. Using the same Pro Res 422 codec (have tried all others as well). All other software functioning fine (FCP, Quicktime, Adobe).

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Aug 18, 2010 at 6:37:06 pm

[Danielle DeLucia] "with the suite 1.5.1 trial, we are able to see the HDV importing. Aside from a few sync drop outs, the major problem is that it does not produce a visible bin where you can see your clips. The project window shows a bin (but almost an offline looking bin) When you click on the bin in the project window, nothing appears. There's no bin window with the clips in it. We've tried deferred, realtime. The footage gets transcoded, but you never see a bin window. Using the same Pro Res 422 codec (have tried all others as well). All other software functioning fine (FCP, Quicktime, Adobe).
"

Hmmm, are you actually crashing (as your topic title says? Or does the acquire work and you simply don´t see your bin window? If you are not seeing your bin, try creating a new bin from the File menu. Does this show up? If yes, then try capturing into this bin…

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLucia
on Aug 18, 2010 at 6:55:27 pm

We've tried to open a new bin, with the same results. The bin appears in the project window as gray and spotted. We reinstalled Suite, but the same thing happens. We were happy to see the HD footage coming through, which would crash Producer every time, but we can't seem to get a functioning bin.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Aug 18, 2010 at 7:17:06 pm

Then you should either delete your Media 100 preferences, or maybe use the "Reset Window Positions" command (maybe it is named differently; it should be down in the "Windows" menu). I guess the bin window opens outside your screen area. The italic name only means that you did not save the bin.

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLucia
on Aug 26, 2010 at 12:59:24 am

Thanks, Floh. Unfortunately there was no luck with resetting windows. The bin window still does not appear. We tried creating a new bin and acquiring again, only with the same results. We end up with two bins in the project window, both spotted-looking (not like your active-type bin). When you click on either one of them, nothing opens. When we try to reset windows, bin does not appear. We can see our .mov footage in the Media 100 media folders, but not in the application. Starting to think about reinstalling the OS to bypass any missing components and reinstall Suite trial, although we've already sent the existing components off to support. Not sure what reinstalling the OS would entail, especially with quicktime updates, etc. I need some sort of a game plan that would allow us to start from scratch to ensure that the issue is somehow pinpointed. I also wish I new how much space is required for acquiring HD footage, based on what is available on a particular partition. As always, thanks for the support!!

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Aug 26, 2010 at 8:49:45 am

[Danielle DeLucia] "We tried creating a new bin and acquiring again, only with the same results. We end up with two bins in the project window, both spotted-looking (not like your active-type bin)."

Does that mean your newly created bin did not show up also? Then you most likely have a preference problem. Try to go to YourHomeFolder->Library->Preferences->Media 100 Suite folder and remove the "Current configuration"file while Media 100 is not running. This should reset your prefs. Then launch the app again and look if your new Bins show up. In case you need additional help with that there would be the option of a remote session if your system is connected to the web…

Return to posts index

Danielle DeLucia
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:47:36 pm

Thanks, Floh. Sorry for the delay; my trial on Suite 1.6.2 has expired, and I'm working with support to try and reacquire a new trial period. I have directed my focus back to original problem, Media 100 Producer, and trying to determine why it crashes (closes out) once I start trying to acquire HD footage on my Sony HDV deck. With this, we've also tried trashing Prefs,Configurations, reinstalling. If there is an option for a remote session with Producer, that would be great!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]