MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Mattes in Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus WarrenMattes in Media 100
by on May 25, 2010 at 4:59:07 pm

I am having no luck in figuring out how to apply a black and white matte in Media 100 Producer. This is a matte that will key one track of video in the white portion of the matte and another track of video in the black portion of the matte. This is so easy to do in Avid and FCP, but even with the help of the instruction manual I can't figure it out in M100P.

Obviously this involves three tracks of video (at least it does in Media Composer and FCP) and I assume a Composite track is involved as well in Media 100.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Matty O'toolRe: Mattes in Media 100
by on May 25, 2010 at 6:32:43 pm

You can not apply Mattes to clips in the M100 timeline.
You would use the included Boris RED for that.

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: Mattes in Media 100
by on May 25, 2010 at 10:06:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. If true, that is disappointing news in an app that bills itself as professional grade.

I neglected to say that I tried it in RED as well, which I thought would be a slam-dunk, but I was only able to key one video track and not the second. Obviously, there is something that I am overlooking. What is the technique?

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: Mattes in Media 100
by on May 26, 2010 at 12:43:48 am

Have you tried each key in its own layer of video on the Media 100 timeline?

HTH

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2010 at 7:59:31 pm

Hi Marcus,
I'm not sure how this is laid out in your time-line (program).
Are you using video tracks or the A/B roll track.
I'm also not entirely sure what your intended result is.
I think you are only trying to key through your top layer, resulting in the bottom layer being visible below.

Try This:
You have Your two clips in Video 1 and 2 in your Media100 timeline.
Select The clip in Video 2
Choose "Edit" from the Edit Suite.
Your clip from Video 2 is now in RED.
Import the B&W matte to RED.
Open Your clip on the RED Timeline (twirl down).
Drag and drop the B&W Matte onto the Mask track for that Video track.
option click on the Mask track to add a filter.
Add the Make Alpha filter from the Keys and Mattes catagory.
You should now be seeing through the video to either Black, or the checkerboard.
Click Apply.
Back in Media 100, you should now have Video 2 with the alpha so you can see video 1 below it.

Again, I think this is what you are trying to acheive.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2010 at 10:20:19 pm

Thanks. I will give this a try. The intended result is to have a have talking head keyed in one part of the matte with an animated background in the other part of the matte, so that the animated background and the talking head (or any video source) appear in the "scene" together but with a cool blending effect that takes avantage of the shape and/or animation aspects of the matte.

See the examples of Animattes at http://www.freedomfx.com to get an idea of what I want to achieve. Watch the demo. Also these kinds of mattes are available in Digital Juice's Editor's Toolkits and similar products from other companies. Like I mentioned previously, this kind of effect is very easy to achieve in Avid, FCP and others. I keep thinking that I am missing something in trying to accomplish the same thing in M100 without having to go through RED.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2010 at 10:24:01 pm

I should also note that these mattes are sometimes called "overlays".

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 12:10:53 am

Hi Marcus,
Ok, in that case, there is a very easy way to do this in Media100.
You can use the "Wipe Designer" fast Effect in the Transitions menu.
Put your talking head clip on the A Track,and your graphic clip on the B track. Create a transition between them and choose Wipe designer from the list of avaiable transitions.
You can then navigate to your B&W matte still from the wipe designer dialog.
Wipe designer gives you a bunch of options. Such as wether to transition between the black and white areas of the matte, or don't transition at all and just use it as a matte.

Unfortunately, i'm not in front of my sytem right now, so this is from memory, but this is how us old time Media100 guys used products like Pixelan SpiceMaster back in the day.

I beleive Wipe Designer is a fast effect as well, meaning it requires no rendering.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:45:27 pm

Thanks for the tip and it works as advertised with still mattes. But I have a nice collection of animated black and white mattes and Wipe Designerdoes not work with those files.

I am still trying to figure out how to use the animated mattes in RED, but so far no luck.

I may have to inquire on the Boris forum.

Thanks gain for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]