MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Editing with a wide colour gamut monitor

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinEditing with a wide colour gamut monitor
by on May 11, 2010 at 4:24:05 pm

Hi All

Just bought a nice shiny new Dell 3008WFP which is great for editing and compositing except it's a wide colour gamut monitor and so everything looks over saturated in M100 (as well as the OS and other apps). With After Effects and Photoshop you can assign a TV colour space or sRGB to images/footage which gets round this issue but I can't see any way of doing this in Media 100 - anyone know a way of changing the colour space of the source and record monitor windows? Maybe this could be added as a feature in a future upgrade?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Matthew MullenRe: Editing with a wide colour gamut monitor
by on May 11, 2010 at 6:04:08 pm

This setting doesn't exist.

You would want to use an external monitor for accurate color grading anyhow.

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Editing with a wide colour gamut monitor
by on May 11, 2010 at 6:42:38 pm

Indeed, I am monitoring via an HDLink so that's not an issue. Wide gamut monitors are becoming the norm so it would be nice to have a solution for the desktop. I'd prefer Apple to provide an OS wide fix but I'm not holding my breath!

Return to posts index

olof ekberghRe: Editing with a wide colour gamut monitor
by on May 13, 2010 at 6:46:30 pm

What I have done a few times is used the monitor settings in the system prefs, to match a NTSC or PAL monitor.

You can build a profile and call it NTSC or PAL, and just play with the settings until they match your reference monitor as close as possible.

Just don't forget to switch back if you work on WEB pages or print as well.

It is easy to do and works pretty well, just remember they are totally different color spaces. Macs and PC's are very different as well.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Editing with a wide colour gamut monitor
by on May 17, 2010 at 9:12:03 am

I've done something similar but it would be nice if the OS 'knew' you were using a wide gamut monitor and adjusted the graphics cards output accordingly to provide sRGB. Applications could also amend their colour spaces via preferences - this would be relatively easy to do!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]