MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Ref file codecs

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim SilvaRef file codecs
by on May 6, 2010 at 5:37:18 pm

I'm having an issue with reference file codecs. After an edit, I generate a reference file. I'm trying to get that file read on a Digital Rapids workstation to flip the file to multiple formats. While QT on that station has no trouble reading the files no matter what the format, it seems the Stream software will only read the file if the codec is DV.

I notice when I generate the ref files, sometimes the codecs are listed as DV, sometimes they're Animation, sometimes they're 601n. Do we have any control over that? How can I always make them DV?

Thanks - Tim

Return to posts index

Susi FeinbeinRe: Ref file codecs
by on May 17, 2010 at 6:28:00 am

"Reference" means these are not self-encoded Files. Reference files are sort of a container for the "original" media files. Open a reference file in QT player, press cmd-j, click on the "Ressources"-Tab. Now you'll see all the associated files. Therefore the codec listed by a mediaplayer like QT Player is not the codec of the reference file but the codec of the (first?) associated file.
Given that M100 can mix different codecs, reference files generated by M100 can also contain different codecs. If you want a file with a specific codec:
1. use only one codec for capturing and rendering. And export "by-reference"
2. choose a codec of your choice in M100-codec-settings and export "self-contained"

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Ref file codecs
by on May 17, 2010 at 9:13:04 am

[Susi Feinbein] "2. choose a codec of your choice in M100-codec-settings and export "self-contained""

Self-contained files can contain - like by reference files - mixed codecs, since they are pretty similar. While a by reference file refers back to the original media files, a self contained export copies (data-wise) the parts from the referring quicktimes into a single file, but without recompression. It keeps the original compression of your source files and copies the used parts into a new QuickTime file.
The only way to make sure your exported file contains only one codec is to do a Quicktime export, using a codec of your choice. Luckily this is pretty fast these days.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved