MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

MPEG-2 output?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Frazier
MPEG-2 output?
on Apr 26, 2010 at 8:49:44 pm

Fellow cowhands,

Since I recently upgraded the Mac and M100, I'm finding some things that don't work as they used to. Formerly, I exported a "By Reference" movie from M100i; opened it in Quicktime 6 Pro, and exported as MPEG-2 to import into DVD Studio Pro 4. Since the upgrade to M100 Suite 1.5 and QT 7 Pro, there's not an option for MPEG-2 output. I attempted to run it through Compressor 2.0.1 but had no luck (I never really had any luck previously with Compressor, but with QT, I didn't really need it.) I attempted to get a newer version of Compressor to see if it would work, but Apple wants my Final Cut Studio serial number. Needless to say, I don't have one or I wouldn't be posting on this forum. Since I need to be able to make DVDs to justify my employment, what's the next step?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Mark

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: MPEG-2 output?
on Apr 26, 2010 at 9:35:38 pm

[Mark Frazier] "Since I need to be able to make DVDs to justify my employment, what's the next step? "

Several options, but I think the best one is to get BitVice (currently on sale), which can do your MPEG encoding and even create a basic DVD (without a menu).
Other options would be e.g. Toast, or the new FinalCutStudio including compressor, or maybe a reinstall of your older DVDStudio, which should contain the MPEG2 exporter for QuickTime

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
Re: MPEG-2 output?
on Apr 27, 2010 at 9:45:07 am

As Floh says BitVice is quite good and will also do PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL conversions. If you want the best MPEG2 encoding available than check out Cinemacraft - the full programme is PC only (works with VMWare Fusion though) or there is now a plug in for Compressor - it's expensive but the quality is unbeatable.

Return to posts index

ralph conradt
: MPEG-2 output? Desparate
on Feb 18, 2011 at 5:35:25 am

M100 does not seem to have an answer to the terrible quality of my DVD burns using Toast 8.
Is this still the best way to burn a DVD. I have tried every possible setting on Producer Acquire/Output and exported from edit suite By Ref, Self Contained, and Quicktime and then burned to Toast and the result is absolutely unacceptable. It appears that I would need to purchase three new pieces of SW, correct?
Vielen Dank!

Export film 'by reference'
Encode in BitVice (VBR average 7.25, two passes
Create an audio ac3 file in Compressor
Build and burn in DVD Studio Pro.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: : MPEG-2 output? Desparate
on Feb 18, 2011 at 9:24:18 am

Hi Ralph,

BitVice still is one of the best MPEG2 encoders I know. But you should be able to get okay-looking DVDs from Toast also:

In Media 100, export your whole timeline as Other: DV Stream. In the "Options": NTSC or PAL and aspect ratio depending on your source. Field Dominance: Lower, Color Range "Computer (0-255). This should give you a "regular" DV file, which as far as I know should be usable by Toast. If Toast cannot encode this correctly then Toast is missing some of the most basic functionality it should have.

Return to posts index

ralph conradt
on Feb 19, 2011 at 11:24:42 pm

Just a follow up. WHen I load a disc image DVD on my computer monitor it looks ok. WHen it play on a consumer player to a 32inch TV it is just terrible. SInce most clients watch on a set top DVD player my stuff looks bad. I have searched everywhere and just came across a private email which you were kind enough to send me. You make a very clear explanation of the problem about black level but I see no mention of a resolution. THat is the problem. Everything is washed out.

"Inside Media 100 it does not make a difference which codec you use, but if you open a digitized clip in another QT-based application there is a difference. For Media 100-codec files Black will be at RGB 16,16,16 while for non-Media 100 codecs black will be at RGB0,0,0. Compressor and iDVD expect black to be at RGB0, so if you take a Media 100 codec file into iDVD or Compressor it will be "washed out", since black will not be black anymore but only dark-grey."

My current work flow is in Media 100 codec setting>DV> Render>DVCPro50
Export from Edit suite> By ref
Open compressor> drag in by ref file> set to Mpeg 2.
Drag to Toast >DVD >best setting.

Help would be great.

Return to posts index

ralph conradt
on Feb 20, 2011 at 2:33:04 am

Just a follow up. WHen I load a disc image DVD on my computer monitor it looks ok.

I have searched everywhere and just came across a private email which you were kind enough to send me years ago. You make a very clear explanation of the problem about black level but I see no mention of a resolution. THat is the problem. Everything is washed out.

"Inside Media 100 it does not make a difference which codec you use, but if you open a digitized clip in another QT-based application there is a difference. For Media 100-codec files Black will be at RGB 16,16,16 while for non-Media 100 codecs black will be at RGB0,0,0. Compressor and iDVD expect black to be at RGB0, so if you take a Media 100 codec file into iDVD or Compressor it will be "washed out", since black will not be black anymore but only dark-grey."

I tried the suggestion of exporting as DV Stream, with only slightly enhanced results.
Then I went to BitVice web site and it no longer lists a product for Mac 10.4.11. Would it help to just buy a new edit system? Media 110 sales tells me codecs etc are the same.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:17:46 am

[ralph conradt] "I tried the suggestion of exporting as DV Stream, with only slightly enhanced results."

Okay, what is your actual problem? Black levels? Color saturation? Motion artifacts? Compression artifacts?
Have you tried the DV stream you exported from Media 100 in iDVD? Does this give better results?
Do you have DVD Studio Pro? You should be able to use the DV stream in DVDSP with okay results also.
I never used Toast to do the actual encoding, so I am not sure how well it works for this kind of tasks.

Return to posts index

ralph conradt
on Feb 22, 2011 at 11:33:37 pm

the trouble is that I am mastering on Media 100 Producer NTSC. I have done no less than 8 hours of testing. Even following your very clear instructions. Codec DVInput>Render DVC50> Export as DV stream the result is a washed out pic with poor blacks and little chroma. As you know every Mac comes with iMove. Import same video with iMovie and Share (there is a sophisticated term) as DV (same as M100) and the result is a DVD via Toast that has sparkling colors, true blacks. Unfortunately there are limitations with iMovie so I will have to again load FCP and struggle along with that horrible interface.
BTW, Bit Vice no longer supports TIger so that is out of the question. I can only assume that editors use M1oo for ease of use to create an edl and then take it to an FCP house, That is what I did with my last project. Very sad situation.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Feb 23, 2011 at 12:24:39 am

[ralph conradt] "mport same video with iMovie and Share (there is a sophisticated term) as DV (same as M100) and the result is a DVD via Toast that has sparkling colors, true blacks. "
Hmmm, DV streams created by Media 100 Producer and by iMovie should be identical. Not sure what is wrong there. There is only one thing I can imagine: does your version of Media 100 (Producer) has the "Video 16-235/Computer 0-255" setting at the bottom of the File->Export window? I cannot remember in which version this has been introduced, but if you have this option and if you select "Computer 0-255" for your exported DV stream you should be good to go. If this option is not in your export window in Media 100, you should think about updating to a later version (which also means that you have to upgrade to OSX 10.5, though).

Return to posts index

ralph conradt
on Feb 23, 2011 at 3:18:59 am

I finally got something that looks pretty good.
In short I have mini DV format inputting in M100 DV codec. Export as DV stream. WHat I was not doing was adjusting for the way M100 looks at DV. I pulled the blacks down and added chroma and contrast. ALso clicked on the )Computer 0-250 option. The result is a DVD that is better than what I get out of iMovie which I expect would be the same codec as FCP uses. Of course iMovie does not allow me to tweak any levels so perhaps my FCP would be even better than M100 but I am satisfied. WIsh it had not taken me so long to get here. You can be certain that I will make thorough notes about SETTINGS.

Vielen dank fur ihren hilfe von ein ehmaliger Deutscher. Meine Eltern sind audgevandert nach den Krieg. 1950. Ich habe familie in Hannover, Krefeld, Berlin und besuche ab und zu. Alles beste!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]