MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

credit roll issue

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Murray Fergusoncredit roll issue
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:00:30 am

I have a 20 sec credit roll. as part of a longer credit sequence. In M100 via my video monitor, the roll is solid and smooth. But when I try making it into a QT movie, to give to someone for making a dvd, it stutters it's way up the screen when played in QT player. I've run out of ideas. Tried self contained, by ref, upper, lower, progressive, endless export codecs, roller speed, etc etc. Will have to remake as static cards if I can't find the solution. But would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
M100 version 13.0.2 QT 7.6.

Return to posts index

Eric PelletierRe: credit roll issue
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 1:38:29 pm

Have you tried to re-import this QT file back into M100?

What I'm thinkning is that maybe your file is interlaced. While playing back on a video monitor might give you nice results, on the other hand, playing back an interlaced file on a computer monitor via QT is not a good reference. Depending on your Export setting you might even get reverse field order, which really scrap a file.

Just Export as self contained, Upper/Lower depending on the program source and make your own DVD to play back on Video monitor and you'll know if your file is right or wrong.

Are you working SD/HD? What input/digitized CODEC/Source?

In worst case, for a quick and nice solution for a 20 sec., do it with After Effects.

Return to posts index

Murray FergusonRe: credit roll issue
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:07:41 pm

Thanks Eric,
It's an SD pal project shot on XD and imported using M100HD codec. And yes, you're right, when I re import the file into M100 it's fine. The problem was that I was seeing the same effect on my test DVD made in DVDSP, with even worse jitter. So assuming the file is ok, it must have something to do with my very limited knowledge of DVDSP. The video content and static titles look great. Think I might just avoid credit rolls in future.

Return to posts index

Eric PelletierRe: credit roll issue
by on Apr 13, 2010 at 1:50:07 am

Normally, what I would do, and that's my own experience here that always worked for me.

Media 100 is SD PAL Upperfield first and SD NTSC Lowerfield first.
I might be wrong here but don't think I am. It always worked for me.

This way, I tend to beleive that if you have a timeline (program) that says PAL 601, you should go to Export File---- Other----QuickTime Movie----Apple Pro Res 422 HQ----Current FPS or 25----Interlaced Top field First----Size Compressor Native (or 720x576 16:9 or 4:3 anamorphic)----Audio 48khz or whatever (it's another subject)----Color Range Computer (0-255)---- Should be fine.

In DVDSP, Open this newly created file as a PAL 720x576 File, Upper field first (Field Dominance upper field first), and it should be ok. Create a PAL DVD , how is it?

Another thing : look in the bin, the footage file or files, under standard column, what does it say? PAL 601 PSF? PAL 601? Are you sure you're SD Interlaced? Could be 24-25 progressive.

Basically as long as you deal with interlace, keep it interlaced and in the proper order.

Beyond this, I don't know what to say.
or maybe you send me your file over FTP
email me if you want :

Return to posts index

Murray FergusonRe: credit roll issue
by on Apr 13, 2010 at 10:50:55 am

Thanks for giving it some thought Eric, The workflow you suggest is exactly the one I tried, along with a dozen or so other variations. Anyway I replaced the roller with cards, and all is good. Luckily my work is nearly always for broadcast, and the dvd's get made by people who know what they're doing, so it shouldn't be an issue for me. One day when I have time I might play around with it again. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved