MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

M100i 8.2.3 and MAC OS 10.4.11?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis FlathM100i 8.2.3 and MAC OS 10.4.11?
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 7:49:15 pm

M100i 8.2.3 on 10.4.3 has been working with no problems including integration with Boris Red 4.1. I recently upgraded to 10.4.11, and now the thumbnails of video/stills captured and imported clips in the bins appear as solid pink thumbnails. The audio icons appear as normal.

When attempting to preview FastFX transitions, the Monitor and Source windows are solid white with no preview.

Everything else about M100i appears to work as normal including Boris Red.

When I start up from an external drive with M100i that's still in 10.4.3, all is as it should be.

Has anyone experienced and corrected this issue? Is there an MAC OS version limitation? Can I migrate above 10.4.3 safely?

I have not tried to reinstall M100i on the 10.4.11 (my next trick), but I have repaired permissions and checked the SW Media100 Codecs. Quicktime is reading them fine. I can use all the functions of M100i, but the thumbnail and preview limitation really hampers production.

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: M100i 8.2.3 and MAC OS 10.4.11?
by on Apr 10, 2010 at 6:42:21 am

Hello Dennis,

What version of QuickTime are you using? Here is a link to a thread on this forum regarding this issue, and if it applies to you, this particular thread explains how to fix it.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/4/862765#862769

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Dennis FlathRe: M100i 8.2.3 and MAC OS 10.4.11?
by on Apr 10, 2010 at 5:53:03 pm

Gary:
You just may have saved me a ton of work...I was considering punting back to the 10.4.3 install and working my way up the evolution until I hit the problem again (thinking it was the OS upgrades). I have a clone of my " earlier" hard drive on an external and was about to "restore" it to my internal and migrate up. I'd never considered Quicktime.

I've read the thread you provided closely and will likely try that "fix" first. Hopefully I won't experience the "desktop refresh" described later in the thread...we'll have to see.

I'll POST my experience after I tackle this. It may be a couple of days before I get to try it...I'm at the end of Post Production edit and don't want to take a chance of losing what I've accomplished. Plus I have a couple of days of recording in studios.

I want to extend my heartfelt thanks for your reference...I didn't think I'd get much of a response considering the dated M100i. I use it and FCP extensively and am trying to get my company to provide INTEL MAC and updated Media100...it's an uphill battle in these economic times, especially when we continue to plod along and produce what's needed - our own worst enemy.

THANKS, again.

Dennis

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2010 at 10:10:54 pm

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your thanks. Hopefully it is the right answer to your problem and you're able to get things back to normal in due course. Yes, please let us know how you fare.

I actually never experienced this problem first hand - that's the beauty of the COW. I come here on an almost daily basis to graze and when there's new fodder out there, especially QuickTime and OS upgrades, I tend to watch for bad reactions from others who may be brave enough to start eating it up right away. I was able to avoid that particular QT 7.5 issue by watching and waiting. The Media 100 has been my main video post-production tool for the past 15 years and it's how I'm able to make a living - I can't afford to have my bread & butter source go bad on me. Long live the Creative COW!

Then there's the Media 100 system itself - from day one I have considered it to be an affordable, stable, well thought out, very intuitive and easy to learn piece of production equipment. I'm so glad I didn't throw in the towel when it came very close to being abandoned a few years back. Boris and his team are doing one hell of a job in keeping me and others in business because they listen to and respond to their customers. I don't understand why other professionals out there haven't caught on. I'm sure what you have now could serve you well for years to come (don't let the person holding the purse strings read that) but when you do finally get that Intel machine and Media 100 Suite, you will experience great delight in working with a familiar interface, little or no disruption in your workflow, and capable of sooo much more. Long live Media 100!

Cheers,
Gary

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2010 at 10:48:18 pm

... but wait, there's more! I missed the post edit time limit and I have to add:

Then there's the moderator of this forum - Floh Peters. People like him scare me because they know so much. I don't know if he's ever given a wrong solution to any Media 100 problem that he's answered. How does he do it? Is it something in his food or drink? Does he ever sleep? As a young child did his parents save him from their exploding planet by putting him into a spacecraft that crashed to earth where he was raised by the a team of computer programmers and engineers at Data Translation who developed the Media 100? Long live Floh Peters!

Cheers,
Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: M100i 8.2.3 and MAC OS 10.4.11?
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 9:51:35 am

Couldn't agree more concerning the praise of Media 100 and I endorse the comment querying why more pros don't use it. The hiatus a few years back did so much damage allowing the power of Apple to bulldoze FCP right in there. As for Floh, well is he real? Having spoken to him from time to time I confirm he is but a Superman none the less.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: M100i 8.2.3 and MAC OS 10.4.11?
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 10:55:37 am

Wow, thanks a lot. I´m speechless…

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]