MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

AJA connections

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark FrazierAJA connections
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:30:11 pm

Fellow Cow-municators,

I finally was able to upgrade my M100i to Suite 1.5, with a corresponding G5 upgrade. I know I'm going to love this setup eventually, but my first challenge came when connecting my BetaSP deck to the system. With my old breakout box, I could use the Composite Out from the breakout box to feed the Ref In on my UVW 1800 deck (video is component in/out from the deck.) This AJA HLi card has only a Ref In cable (going IN to the card), so there is nothing to feed the deck. The result is an non-synced feed to the monitor, which makes it very difficult to edit. Any recommendations to get everything on the same wavelength?

Also, with the breakout box, I was able to use the s-video out to one of the monitor inputs, to give me a crisper picture (without looping through the Beta deck.) Since the AJA card has nothing like that, I was told by a CS rep at AJA to set the Analog Output of the card to Compoosite + Y/C; use the Composite to the deck and use an adapter cord to feed the Y/C to the monitor. Great theory. Didn't work. The composite feed is Black & White, and the Y/C doesn't seem to be producing a signal no matter how I configure the connections.

Anybody been down this road before? Even WHEN I upgrade my camera package, I've still got years of BetaSP footage I'll need to use, so tossing the Beta deck off the roof is not a workable option (already suggested by a well-intentioned but woefully shortsighted associate.)

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Mark

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: AJA connections
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 3:14:01 pm

[Mark Frazier] "Great theory. Didn't work. The composite feed is Black & White, and the Y/C doesn't seem to be producing a signal no matter how I configure the connections. "

Then you are still sending a component signal. Make sure to set the analog output to Composite+Y/C in the Media 100 hardware output settings.[Mark Frazier] "The result is an non-synced feed to the monitor, which makes it very difficult to edit. Any recommendations to get everything on the same wavelength? "

You could either send the Y out through a distribution amplifier and send one out to the Y in and one to the Ref in. Or you could try to loop the Y through the Sync in (Y out to Ref In, Ref Through to Y in; not sure if this gives you a clean image).

Btw, doesn´t the UVW has S-Video outs also? You could go Component in to the Deck and S-Video out to the monitor in case your monitor does not have a Component input.

Return to posts index

Mark FrazierRe: AJA connections
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 3:48:40 pm

The result: Two hours (actually much more) of trying to figure this problem out myself with nothing but frustration resulting.

Two minutes reading and following Floh's advice breeds SUCCESS!!! I had been changing all of the settings in the LHi control panel, but had forgot to go into the M100 output settings and change them to match. Another case of cerebral flatulence combined with intellectual constipation, apparently. (I believe Samuel Adams has a prescription to alleviate this malady.)

In the middle of all of this, I also decided (after reading a very heated thread on this subject) to locate and purchase a blackburst generator to make all of the equipment much happier. Now if I could figure out a way to easily feed the Y/C to the monitor and still have component signals going to the deck.....

Floh, I really appreciate your help on this - as well as previous issues. The folks at Media 100 need to treat you very, very nice - frequent deliveries of your favorite beverages, fruit & cheese baskets, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]