MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

M100HD Seems to be Working

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry CondezM100HD Seems to be Working
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 2:21:42 pm

Hi,
After installing Media100, I took an old scsi drive and about to delete files and saw old projects from the Media100i. Clicked the project and was surprised that it opened. Funny, those were the footage were looking for few years back.
Anyway, Im happy to see that the setup works and also sad to see that nothing much have changed in 16 years since I started using Media100. I thought I could now use filters, plugins within Media100 but still have to export to After Effects, Boris or even Final Cut Studio to do those. However Media 100 got me through really tight schedules Also with tight schedules, importing and exporting is a hassle because of mistakes setting different parameters, codecs, etc. upon rendering which often lead to mismatched video. With SD is much simple but with HD, I dont even know what to choose from.
I am hoping that Media 100 engineers get smarter or at least copy something from Final Cut or more integration from Boris than Boris makes nice plugins for FCP. There is no reason at all to export anything to FCP. Unless Media100 is fading out in the background and telling old loyal editors to use FCP. I still widh that they Media100 a well rounded editing solution or at least make old loyal Media 100 users proud again.
These are my sentiments upon trying the Media100 HD since last night. I am hoping that there are unknown surprises kept somewhere around there just for me, if not I wish they hire Final Cut engineers instead. lol, Best Regards

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: M100HD Seems to be Working
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 2:25:38 pm

[Gerry Condez] "Anyway, Im happy to see that the setup works and also sad to see that nothing much have changed in 16 years since I started using Media100. I thought I could now use filters, plugins within Media100 but still have to export to After Effects, Boris or even Final Cut Studio to do those. "

You can apply effects to your clips in the timeline directly. If you select a clip and click on "Edit", the clip (or your timeline layers) will open in RED immediately, giving you direct access. Inside RED you can use many AE-compatible filters.

Return to posts index

Gerry CondezRe: M100HD Seems to be Working
by on Mar 25, 2010 at 3:02:51 pm

Thanks Floh,
I got it. This is what you call added value. Nice. I told you Media 100 got some surprises for me. LOL I think this was not in the tutorial, right? Is there an option to render Boris faster? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: M100HD Seems to be Working
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 2:13:32 pm

Gerry, that's what I like about Media 100, not too much changes, just improvements as different codecs come along like HD and functions introduced as it becomes technically possible. I've been with them for nearly 15 years now and wouldn't change for the world. It's the nearest thing to film editing but I guess you youngsters don't remember that!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: M100HD Seems to be Working
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:55:59 pm

I'm with Michael on this in that unlike some other companies, Media 100 and now Boris doesn't move a lot of functions around between versions to different menus and locations simply for the sake of a claimed improvement. If you had still been using an earlier version and switched to Suite 1.5 you would be up and productive in minutes, while still delighted by the additions and improvements.

As I wrote about in an article here on the COW, the transition to HD was so seamless and simple that it left me wondering why I hadn't done it months, if not years earlier.

The new "Collect Files," "Export Presets" and "Batch Output" functions clearly show that Media 100 GETS that its used by video professionals. Each of these, as well as many other M100 features, are added to make our work easier and quicker.

Return to posts index

Gerry CondezRe: M100HD Seems to be Working
by on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:21:09 am

I hear you guys. Thanks. In fact I still have some old apple macs 9600, G3, and G4's with XS and XR's installed and still working. Actually, one of them the 9600 have a Media 100 ICE FX card still installed and can run anytime. I show some guys here how realtime I get with those machines. They even thought I'm using a different Mac OS version because its OS 9 the different OSX, who knows. I used to run the Cinelook film damage FX on that one which renders a 3.5 min clip in AE for a day. hehe! I am saving a piece of Media 100's history here. I still have 2 G4's in rack mounts we use to edit onsite presentations until now but in 16x9. I know how quick and fast I can do things with Media100. I even have a Media 100 installed in my truck for my kids to watch movies. For real! See picts below:

See the junction box attached on the top right (painted black). Below is another picture of the box, I guess that looks familiar with you. My own design and hacks.

I hope you understand that I'm crazy with Media 100 like you! LOL
Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]