MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Got my setup, but. . .

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Condez
Got my setup, but. . .
on Mar 23, 2010 at 11:29:49 pm

but, Xserve got only 2 expansion slots. One for Kona 3x. Got a 64mb built in video card which wont work with Magic Bullet. Any other options? If I get a Nvidia card with dual DVI then I have to loose the Atto UL5D. Is firewire good enough? What HD options do I get? Or, can I keep the 64mb built in video card and use the Atto UL5D instead for my raid? The Xserve has 2TB of Dual SATA internally. Is that good enough for HD so I can just loose the Atto instead? A newer Mac Pro is not an option here. Thanks

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Got my setup, but. . .
on Mar 24, 2010 at 7:14:10 am

[Gerry Condez] "Or, can I keep the 64mb built in video card and use the Atto UL5D instead for my raid? The Xserve has 2TB of Dual SATA internally. Is that good enough for HD so I can just loose the Atto instead?"

For testing I would stick with the internal GPU. I guess Boris RED will not get hardware support from the card, but should run in software mode anyway. Media 100 does not really need GPU acceleration. You also could use the internal drives for (compressed) HD material, if you are e.g. using the ProRes or DVCProHD codec.
Personally I would initially try to put the Kona and the Atto card in there to see how it works. If you feel that you need to get another GPU, try running your video from the internal drives.

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
on Mar 24, 2010 at 12:55:03 pm

Hi Floh,
Thanks gain for the info. Well, to the people who might end up reading this post with an Xserve. I just found out that Apple sells a raid card:
The Xserve RAID Card delivers enhanced storage performance and data protection through a powerful hardware RAID engine, 256MB of cache, and an integrated 72-hour battery for protecting cache data. The card requires Mac OS X Server v10.5 or later and replaces the built-in SATA/SAS controller board in your Intel-based Xserve. Enhance storage performance and data protection by configuring your system with the Xserve RAID Card and multiple SAS or SATA hard drives. The Xserve RAID Card replaces the built-in SATA/SAS controller board and does not use a PCI Express slot. Coupled with two or more hard drives, the Xserve RAID Card offers improved performance and data protection to your Xserve system, up to 318MB/s in RAID 0 and 198MB/s in RAID 5 of sequential read performance. This hardware RAID option supports RAID levels 0, 1, 5, and Enhanced JBOD and has 256MB of cache.
The Raid card is quite expensive for the older model Xserves and cost about $999.00 in addition to the Media 100 after the trial date expires. WOW
So, I guess in a way I can add an additional dual display video card in replacement of the Atto UL5D and keep the Kona3X on its designated slot. Anyway without the GPU upgrade, I'll try it today.
Is 318 MB/s good enough? Compressed or uncompressed? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 24, 2010 at 1:23:33 pm

I donĀ“t think the Apple RAID card is worth its money. Try a RAID0 with your internal drives first (if you have 3 drives, I would keep one as the system drive and RAID0 the other 2 together for media). Keep some FireWire drives as Time Machine backup drives for your media and your system HD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]