MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100i and HD

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Condez
Media 100i and HD
on Mar 19, 2010 at 2:32:18 am

Need some help to convince myself about Media 100HD. I've been using M100i for some time. I would like to know if the HD version is comparable to Media 100i XR. In ways that, can I just apply slow motion, color correction, instant Black and White and playback HD material instantly? Are there still real time FX? I saw the hardware options but real time is just for up and down conversions. Thanks

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Media 100i and HD
on Mar 19, 2010 at 7:12:52 am

[Gerry Condez] "In ways that, can I just apply slow motion, color correction, instant Black and White and playback HD material instantly? Are there still real time FX?"

You will be surprised how much more realtime you get on a new system. One of our editors had to go back to Media 100 i on a recent job, and although he got through it he was surprised how slow everything was under Media 100 i.
All effects you mention up there are still realtime, even on HD material, but they are processed on the CPU and not on the hardware board. Plus, everything else you need to render is dramatically faster due to the fact that the P6000 compression/decompression chip is a real bottleneck these days. When you e.g. render a BorisFX in Media 100 i, each frame goes through this decompression/compression, which takes close to a second per frame on P6000 (without anything being rendered). On the new systems you don´t have that limitation anymore, so rendering is dramatically faster.
If you have a relatively new computer somewhere, even a MacBook Pro, download the demo version of Media 100 Suite, move some timeline with some footage over to it, e.g. via a FireWire drive and give it a quick try. You will be surprised…

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
on Mar 19, 2010 at 1:09:12 pm

I am not familiar with the speed of the macpros but I recently got an Xserve and will move the Kona 3x from a G5. The xserve is an old (later 2006) with dual 3.0 chip 5160 Xeon Quad Core. It has an Server OS 10.5.8 installed. Can that OS be used? Is the CPU good enough to get me to real time. I read your post a while back regarding the specs but those are for non servers. I got that because Kona 3X wont work on a newer machine. I saw the specs on AJA's site and this one model is still within specs and the last for the Kona pci X. Do you think I'll still get real time FX? Im still waiting for the pci-x riser to move the Kona and hoping I'll be set to get my system running.
BTW: I got 2 additional ADM SATA hard drive modules for the Xserve of 1 TB per module. Can that be used for video storage? I have external 10 drives of 3TB external U320 SCSI but dont have the controller yet. Thanks Floh for your time.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 19, 2010 at 1:29:48 pm

[Gerry Condez] "he xserve is an old (later 2006) with dual 3.0 chip 5160 Xeon Quad Core. It has an Server OS 10.5.8 installed. Can that OS be used? "

I´ve never tried it on MacOSX Server, but I don´t see why it should not work. The CPUs are pretty powerful, so you will get good realtime performance. Should be a great system.

Return to posts index

Doug Calhoun
on Mar 19, 2010 at 2:10:03 pm

Gerry, I made the jump almost a year ago and am completely satisfied with the speed and performance of the new system. I wish I had done it sooner. Some of the newer features are making my workflow more seamless with other apps as well.

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
on Mar 19, 2010 at 2:18:30 pm

Hi Doug, Thanks man for the lift. I feel better already knowing the system M100 works like that. I felt the same way and could have done it sooner but always short of budget. lol. I guess I posted the same issues long time ago again and again and tried to convince myself. This is it! Time to get broke again.

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
on Mar 19, 2010 at 2:10:31 pm

Cool! Thanks Floh! I'll post back in 2 weeks the results. And get back to Matt at M100 if I like the trial version. Again, many thanks to you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]