MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

workflow

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JAMES Luckel
workflow
on Mar 10, 2010 at 3:46:19 am

Curious what others are doing with respect to managing color across AE and Media 100. I am working with AE monitoring the output on a broadcast monitor thru a blackmagic HD Extereme on a separate workstation. Using color management in AE and rendering into Media 100 HD codec for output. In order to get legal levels back in Media100 I am employing color management to my renders of SD 16-235.
My problem is that what I am seeing on my output from AE on the BM card is not what I get upon importing the rendered material into media100 with respect to gamma. If I reimport my rendered material back into AE to check its spot on gamma-wise.

Not sure where I am breaking down on this, guessing this is somewhere in the RGB-YUV. I assume I cannot employ the LUT system that AJA makes available to correct my output (perhaps not active for M100 suite 1.x)

Anyone what to discuss this pipeline ?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: workflow
on Mar 10, 2010 at 7:01:52 am

With the Aja cards, you have the option to either in RGB 16-235 colorspace in AE in case you want to render into a Media 100 codec, or into 0-255 if you want to render into an Apple codec like ProRes. We use ProRes heavily these days, so most of the time we are monitoring the full range 0-255 signal in AE, which is what you are seeing with the Blackmagic card, I guess.
You could either render into ProRes or another full range codec, which would give you the same image in AE and Media 100. Or you could apply a Levels filter on an adjustment layer in AE on top of your composition before rendering, with the output white set to 235 and the output black set to 16. Turn it off for working and monitoring in AE, and turn it on for rendering. This way you should get correct renders from AE into Media 100 codecs.

Return to posts index

JAMES Luckel
on Mar 10, 2010 at 3:19:31 pm

Floh,

IF I am understanding you correctly, if you are running AE on the same workstation as M100 with an AJA card, the LUT system becomes active, but M100 does not access that portion of the AJA control?

So, you don't really work with color management in AE, correct? I am primarily using it to apply the 16-235 at the render (SDTV 16-235 color management on my output module) to do the same thing you are accomplishing with levels.

Sounds like you are rendering into ProRes at full range and bringing that into M100 and that provides you with seemless results? I had tried that in the past and just round tripping a clip with no effects mine was not matching.

Thanks for getting into this one, I am really hoping to get more accurate results as we do quite a bit in AE.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 10, 2010 at 7:19:25 pm

[JAMES Luckel] "IF I am understanding you correctly, if you are running AE on the same workstation as M100 with an AJA card, the LUT system becomes active, but M100 does not access that portion of the AJA control? "

Media 100 does not use the Aja LUT function. When previewing from AE you can use the Aja video out or the Media 100 video out (which access the same Aja hardware, but with different colorspaces). If you import a ProRes file into AE (CS4; there have been some ProRes/AE issues before which could be fixed by a manual override for the colorspace interpretation) it looks the same in AE via the Kona out than it looks in Media 100. If you render it out again from AE it looks the same in Media 100 as before.

Return to posts index

JAMES Luckel
on Mar 10, 2010 at 8:03:37 pm

Which brings up a point about interpretation rules for footage from Media 100 in the Media100 HD codec. How should that be interpreted colorspace wise in AE. Out of the box its coming in sRGB 2.1, is that correct?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:59:27 pm

Yes, I think so.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]