MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Old effects that work with NuBus Media 100?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregg EshelmanOld effects that work with NuBus Media 100?
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 10:21:36 am

I'm looking for any old effects software that works with the Nubus Media 100 system.

All I have that didn't come with it originally is Gradient Explorer 1.1 by the long defunct German company Cinetic.

What is cool about that is any 8-bit greyscale image in the correct format and resolution will work with this, so those "Spice" effects can be used with this antique system. :)

Some time ago, someone sent me a bit of software called TransJammers with one effect, but apparently it's incomplete, never did get it to do anything.

I can't really do much with the Radius 81/110 and the Media 100 because I don't have an RS-422 remote controlled S-VHS deck with time base corrector, or even a halfway decent S-VHS VCR with frame accurate jog control.

I did a few things on it some years back, was quite tedious having to piece video together and cut overlaps from very coarse manual start/stop capturing, and all the maddening times the thing would just quit at the least little bobble in the sync signal from the VCR.
If only the NuBus cards had a 640K (roughly 4 frames at max quality) frame buffer and onboard time base correction.

I do have the dongles to enable all the features, and have the component input daughterboard too. The Radius is maxed on RAM, 8 matched IBM SIMMs. (Ironic, eh, a Macintosh with RAM from IBM?)

Such a system is still perfectly adequate for capturing ye olde VHS which even when played through an S-Video connection isn't going to strain 640x480 resolution. Running on OS 9.1 it can output video files up to whatever the maximum size a single file is allowed to be.

Unfortunately the maximum capture file size is coded into the Media 100 software rather than being based on the filesystem the data is being saved to. Would be nice if someone could figure a way to hack that with ResEdit.

I've seen posts on here by people looking for working dongles for the NuBus system. There is a software dongle emulator, but it's a bit limited. It doesn't emulate the "whole deal" but it can get one going with no dongles at all.

Return to posts index

David StilesRe: Old effects that work with NuBus Media 100?
by on Mar 22, 2010 at 7:58:26 pm

I have a full version of TransJammer in the box with manual. Not sure if it will work with your system, but it just might. I'm happy to trade it for something equally value-less, lol.

Dave Stiles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved