MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Last version of iFinish transcoder for Windows?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregg Eshelman
Last version of iFinish transcoder for Windows?
on Mar 5, 2010 at 8:43:49 am

I've been away from Media100 stuff for a few years. Now I have some old video I need to convert to a different format and now find that Media100 has changed hand a time or two and is once again a Macintosh only product.

Wouldn't be a problem if they still had the old Media100 transcoder for Windows still available to download. I can set up an XP box special with Quicktime 6 just for this job.

There's also the free QTflattener to make the old video files more Windows friendly or just keep the resource forks in the same folder(s) as the data forks, after extracting both from the Mac formatted media they're on.

All possible IF the last version of the transcoder from 2004 was available to download somewhere. Anyone still have it hanging around?

Return to posts index

Bon Sawyer
Re: Last version of iFinish transcoder for Windows?
on Jun 4, 2010 at 3:25:10 pm

Hi. Are you still looking for this? I have it, and could e-mail it to you.

Return to posts index

Gregg Eshelman
on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:16:56 pm

Thanks! Send it to g_alan_e@yahoo.com

Here's the QT Flattener I mentioned. http://www.macdisk.com/quickten.php

Return to posts index

Robert Sprowson
on Nov 21, 2010 at 11:33:27 am

Hi folks,
After much searching I think iFinish is the solution to an 11 year old problem: originally edited with Media100QX (on a Mac) I cunningly exported the video as a flattened MOV file because of the options listed in Premiere at the time that looked the most portable.

Fast forward in time I find I was partly right, in that I have a QuickTime file I can simply copy off the CD, but can't play because the video is trapped in Media100QX format.

Can anyone point me to the iFinish download?
Alternatively, can anyone suggest a conversion service?

Thanks in advance,
Robert.

Return to posts index

Gregg Eshelman
on Nov 22, 2010 at 4:09:36 am

I can return the favor and e-mail you the iFinish Transcoder for Windows. In spite of what the instructions claim, it *does* provide realtime playback on Windows. If you search for NuBus Media 100 you'll find my old site with some info on working with Media 100 video files in Windows. (I haven't been with that ISP for several years but they've kept my site up all this time! I can't change anything though.)

I was just doing some hunting to see if there's anywhere current to download the Windows transcoder, nope. All links dead.

If you need the codec for PPC or Intel Mac, http://www.media100.com/support/downloads.php Since it's gone back to a Mac only product, Media 100 won't provide anything for any Windows version. (Insert curses and expletives as appropriate!)

Return to posts index

Robert Sprowson
on Nov 22, 2010 at 9:20:16 am

Hi Gregg,
I had found your old site
http://members.aceweb.com/gregg1/media100/NuBusM100.html
as it's linked as a reference from Wikipedia, which was one of the first hits when I searched "Media100QX" - it's a bit worrying I remembered the model number as I burned the CD in 1999! I think the Mac I used had a Vincent card in it and a big umbilical at the back converting back to BNC.

Many thanks for the link to easy share, as you found too all other links seemed to be dead. I even took a look at some Russian and Ukranian websites (not an an x86 PC though!) which falsely claimed to have iFinish.

So for completeness of the archive
* The filename is "M100WinTranscoder.qtx"
* It's just 75264 bytes long
* I used QuickTime 6.5.2 and just dropped it into the same directory
as "QuickTimePlayer.exe", rather than in the Windows directory
as the instructions suggested

I'm just at a loss as to why Media 100 don't host this any more given it's only 75k. Thanks again,
Robert.

Return to posts index

Gregg Eshelman
on Nov 23, 2010 at 7:46:54 am

They host *nothing* for any Windows version of any software Media 100 ever produced. (Which is why I made a post asking about all M100 Windows stuff.)

They're yet another company that tosses everything for discontinued products down the old 'memory hole', often claiming they never made such a product when asked.

My standard for excellent support is how Western Digital did it in the pre-http://WWW years. They had a BBS to dial into (long distance) and a fairly easy method to search for documents and software. IIRC they put various part numbers etc in the database *exactly as printed on the hardware*, which is something many companies didn't do in the early Web years.

If it was software one was after, it could be downloaded from the BBS.

If it was documents you wanted, you got document numbers to write down.

Next step was a TOLL FREE FAX-back automated system. To retrieve documents you dialed the number then followed the prompts to enter on or more document numbers, then your FAX number.

In a few minutes Western Digital's computer would FAX you all the requested documents at their expense.

Now *that* was top notch customer service! They even had software and documents for product lines they'd made but sold off to other companies.

Return to posts index

Gregg Eshelman
on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:03:00 am

Grab the iFinish transcoder for Windows from here. http://www.easy-share.com/1913048582/iFinishTranscoder.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]