MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Half green screen problem in black headers

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Crews
Half green screen problem in black headers
on Mar 2, 2010 at 5:17:17 am

I'm running ver. 13.0.4 (Intel) on a Mac OSX, 10.5.7. 2x3 GHz, 8 GB ram.

Before I compress my commercials for various end users, I export from my timeline as uncompressed master files with two frames of black, heads and tails.
When making these movies off my HD program timeline, I get an artifact in the black preceding the video. The lower half (maybe just slightly more than half) of the screen is bright green. The black tail is fine, just the header black has this.
If I export using h.264, I don't have this problem. Tried various settings, but can't figure what's causing this. I searched for this, and there is a "half green" screen problem in some Windows apps using Vista, but those errors also distort their video, so I don't see how this could be related.
Anyone else run across this, or have any ideas for me?
Thanks!

David

David P. Crews
CrewsCreative
Post Production - Motion Graphics - Original Music
http://www.CrewsCreative.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Half green screen problem in black headers
on Mar 2, 2010 at 12:16:17 pm

Not sure what is going on there, but the easiest solution is probably to acquire some seconds of black from your deck and to use that in your timeline for your black leader.

Return to posts index

David Crews
on Mar 2, 2010 at 3:48:01 pm

Floh,

Good suggestion. I have been using the default timeline "black" - and that was causing the problem. I inserted an actual clip of black and that solved it.

So, it looks like there a technical difference between a black clip and the black from an empty timeline? I've never had any problems in the past just using the empty timeline, say between a slate and the first video.

Thanks.

David

David P. Crews
CrewsCreative
Post Production - Motion Graphics - Original Music
http://www.CrewsCreative.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Mar 2, 2010 at 3:55:42 pm

[David Crews] "So, it looks like there a technical difference between a black clip and the black from an empty timeline? I've never had any problems in the past just using the empty timeline, say between a slate and the first video. "

There is a huge difference. A black clip is an actual quicktime video file with a defined codec, size, framerate and video level. A black clip in Media 100 uses some QuickTime features to reduce the actual size of the black part. It is not a video clip with actual frames and with an actual size, but I think a 2*2 pixel wide image with a defined length; plus, since Media 100 deals with different colorspaces internally (RGB0-255 vs RGB 16-235) it also has a defined RGB level, which does not necessarily match the codec and level of the rest of your material (remember that Media 100 can mix different codecs without problems and that there is nothing like a "sequence codec").
Some applications do have problems reading files containing clips these QuickTime features.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]