MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

M100 Studio 1.5 questions

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fermin Branger
M100 Studio 1.5 questions
on Feb 23, 2010 at 8:44:58 pm

Hi, congratulations again for still taking M100 beyond.

My questions:

1. It means that if I had a Kona3 or a Decklink HD Extreme cards, I could acquire/import, edit and mastering 4:4:4 at full range?

2. Can we hope now that M100 will support AVC-INTRA codec soon like AVCHD?

3. Why M100 continues describing itself as "a leading provider of advanced editing systems for the corporate, broadcast, postproduction, and new media industries" If there are a growing groups of people around the world that have been using M100 as our primary film editing system for film transfer (including us)?

Thanks,

fermin

Fermin Branger
ALFARERIA CINEMATOGRAFICA
Caracas, Venezuela.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: M100 Studio 1.5 questions
on Feb 24, 2010 at 12:44:17 am

Hi Fermin,

[Fermin Branger] "1. It means that if I had a Kona3 or a Decklink HD Extreme cards, I could acquire/import, edit and mastering 4:4:4 at full range? "

As far as I know right now only 4:2:2 input and output via HD-SDI are supported. What sources do you use for 4:4:4 material? HDCam SR? What is your workflow?
The support for ProRes 4x4 means that we now can use ProRes with alpha channel instead of rendering animations with alpha e.g. to Animation codec.

[Fermin Branger] "2. Can we hope now that M100 will support AVC-INTRA codec soon like AVCHD? "
In case you have access to the AVC Intra codec, you can use it more or less like AVCHD. For AVCHD you need ClipWrap to import the files; for AVC Intra there is a plugin named Calibrated MXF Import that wraps MXFs into a QuickTime format and makes them readable for Media 100 (they have a free trial). I am not sure, but probably Panasonics free AVC-Intra Software Decoder for Mac should work with the Calibrated Plugin. The FCP AVCHD codec does work definitely.

Return to posts index

Fermin Branger
Re: M100 Studio 1.5 questions
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:42:57 am

Hi Floh, thanks for your answer.

I've read about Calibrated MXF import, and about Raylight MXFX 2 from DVFILM, that is a Panasonic Partner (and I've been waiting so much for their MAC version), but I have the dream that I could import my AVC-I files directly to my M100 natively (if we can call Native the way that FC transcode it).

I have a Panasonic Varicam 3700 camera that has 4:4:4 output. I'm planning to upgrade to a Kona3 or a Decklink HD Extreme card to acquire some shots for visual FX with glass, performing perfect mattes to compose it into our movies.

I have friends that says that I'm some kind of M100 freak. I soppose that I am. The first non linear system that I learned to work was M100 in 1994, and I'm still feeling so comfortable using it to tell stories, that I always try to force each film project to fit into our M100 workflow, in spite of not always our projects fits into, some times because of the codec, some others because of 23.98 PN support, etc. I've saw myself forced to use FinalCut more that I can bear.

I will go to the NAB to see some tools that we could use into our film scheme, like 4:4:4 recorders and, of course, 4:4:4 cards.

I know that isn't that simple for the engineers to release so many features for so wide aspect of applications and costumers. But I don't loose my hope about it.

All the best,

fermin

Fermin Branger
ALFARERIA CINEMATOGRAFICA
Caracas, Venezuela.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]