MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Memory leak or memory allocation?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Ungerer
Memory leak or memory allocation?
on Feb 14, 2010 at 10:04:59 pm

Hi,
I posted this problem on the BorisFX forum thinking the problem was with Boris. Now it occurs in the Media 100 timeline. After working with the optical stabilizer filter applied to approximately 300 six second clips, I receive one of two messages:"Could not complete your request because a memory allocation failed" or "Could not complete your request because a program error of type -19100 occurred". The work around has been to close the Media 100 application, and then reopen it. This would let me continue to work in Boris applying the optical stabilizer filter to a few clips before one of the messages would occur again. But now the message "-memory allocation failed" occurs when I simply to do any adjustments in the timeline after applying the filter. I have the latest M100 Suite in a MacPro with 8GB RAM. Have I just run out of RAM or is Boris not cancelling my cache when I render? If so, why? Any suggestions in solving this problem would be very appreciated.
Thanks.

Walter Ungerer

Return to posts index

Walter Ungerer
Re: Memory leak or memory allocation?
on Feb 15, 2010 at 2:53:19 pm

Correction: approximately 3000 clips (not 300) with optical stabilizer filter applied over presently 54 minute project.

Walter Ungerer

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Feb 15, 2010 at 3:36:57 pm

WOW... That\'s a lot of clips with a resource-hungry filter applied.

As for which side the actual problem is on, it\'s hard to say. Could be Boris, could be M100. Either way, it\'s not working for you.

Do you have Vertical Render enabled in the Media menu? If so, does turning off help?

Can you render the filters? Given your symptoms, I do not expect you to be able render them all at once but what about 1?10? 20? etc?

Return to posts index

Walter Ungerer
on Feb 15, 2010 at 4:18:37 pm

Wick,
Thanks for the reply.
Vertical Render was never applied, but I tried applying it after your message. Negative. When enabled it brings up the memory allocation message even earlier. Can I render the applied filter clip? Yes, but at this point I can only render one or two clips before the message appears and I have to close M100 and reopen. Because of this problem I have been rendering each clip immediately after applying it, not batch rendering. I still have about 125 clips to which I have to apply the filter. I'm afraid shortly I won't even be able to render one clip. I wondered whether buying more RAM and adding 2 GB RAM might help.

Walter Ungerer

Return to posts index

Mike Rowe
on Feb 16, 2010 at 10:44:14 pm

Wick.

I want to chime in on this one. Several months ago I posted a similar problem involving the same "System Memory Allocation Failure" error when exporting material from the "export from edit suite" mode in Media 100 version 12.5. There was some discussion about maybe QuickTime was to blame. As of this day, I still can not export any programs from the edit suite without this error. Exporting as a self contained movie does work but introduces a scratchy audio track. Any input to both the memory allocation error and the scratchy audio when exporting as a self contained movie would be helpful. I've never run into this problem on my legacy system using a G4 and version 8.

Mike Rowe

Return to posts index

Walter Ungerer
on Feb 17, 2010 at 5:40:15 pm

Wick,
It seems to me Mike's memory allocation message, though the same message as mine, probably was generated by a different problem. It would be very helpful if the Media 100 program could generate more than a "heads up" about a problem. If a diagram could be generated along with the warning message, leading us to the possible origin of our trouble; then we could do more accurate trouble shooting. Presently the message is too vague, and it's just a lot of trial and error searching. Often we are left with workarounds, if we are lucky. I think the work of your stressful job would be alleviated, too.

Walter Ungerer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]