MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

SD or HD workflow?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
todd mcmullen
SD or HD workflow?
on Jan 31, 2010 at 10:29:22 pm

I am looking for thoughts and prior experience on a workflow for a legacy project.

I have roughly 150 hours of footage shot on BetaSP. I have close to 160 bins .And I have a dozen programs compiled. My main WIP program contains 95 percent of the media. However A bunch of needed material still needs to be captured. I have upgraded my system to the Latest version of m100 with an AJA LHI card and plenty of storage.

Here's my questions. I need to re-capture my footage and I am not sure if I should capture everything in ProRes SD or HD. If I re-capture in ProRes HD then can I convert my SD WIP Program to HD and Finish?
If I capture in SD then would I just up-convert the finished program to HD or would I re-digitize the timeline to HD.

I will be using a betaSP UVW 1800 to re-capture footage.
Thanks in advance as there seems to be no simple solution.
Whew.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: SD or HD workflow?
on Feb 1, 2010 at 6:35:58 am

If your source is SD only, then I see no reason to acquire in SD. You still can master to HD with the LHi up-conversion on output if you need to.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 1, 2010 at 11:41:31 am

Floh, I think you meant to say 'no reason not to acquire in SD' didn't you?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Feb 1, 2010 at 12:29:18 pm

[Michael Slowe] "Floh, I think you meant to say 'no reason not to acquire in SD' didn't you?
"

Uh, actually I wanted to say "no reason to acquire in HD", which is more or less the same. Stay SD unless you have a good reason not to.

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Feb 1, 2010 at 1:34:38 pm

Thanks for the input. I am leaning toward SD. My only hesitation was that if I also wished to archive this older media then I would have it archived in HD.
As far as converting program thats SD to HD, is it a matter of an export or changing the preferences for the timeline?

Thanks again

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Feb 1, 2010 at 1:37:04 pm

[todd mcmullen] "As far as converting program thats SD to HD, is it a matter of an export or changing the preferences for the timeline? "

Depends. You can upres the timeline via the "conform" command, either by upscaling the footage in software or by making the clips offline and reacquiring into HD. Or you can play out your SD timeline to HD-SDI in realtime with the LHi hardware. Or you can keep your SD source footage and convert what you need into HD later on, saving drive space and render time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]