MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Time Code Burn In

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg SnyderTime Code Burn In
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:07:20 pm

Is there anyway to make the timecode burn-in window display the SOURCE time code info instead of the Program timeline TC numbers???
Trying to make a the burncode process easier from ex-3 clips.

Greg Snyder
NC Museum of Natural Sciences
Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: Time Code Burn In
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 8:14:33 pm

Well... if you double-click a clip into the Edit Suite then of course the Burn-in is showing source timecode. However, I'm sure you want it coming form clips in the Program. That you cannot do, sorry.

Can you do me a favor and share exactly what the great advantage would be to have the source timecode. When I follow the idea through to the end I always end up realizing that the "Program" timecode from the burn-in points me to the correct clip in the timeline which then has it's "Source" timecode when I double-click it into the Edit Suite.

Return to posts index

Greg SnyderRe: Time Code Burn In
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:10:51 pm

We are looking for a way to give someone a burn code of the original ftg. so they can pick clips or segments before we edit. If there was a play all clips in bin mode or something like that. Since we have gone tapeless (XDCAM EX) it's harder to do. In the "old" days we would just burn a dvd from the tape machine of each roll with a TC window in that.
I was just wondering if we could switch were the TC info comes from. You do see the TC info update in the edit suite (for the source) if the V clip is chosen in that display.
Just a wish. Hope this helps explain the desired effect.
Greg Snyder

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Time Code Burn In
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 7:13:14 pm

You could do it one disk at a time simply by transferring the entire disk and laying it into a timeline then setting "Timeline Start" to the same time as the head of your disk. Of course scene changes stops/starts may throw off the synch a little depending on the camera you're using, but for the most part you should remain fairly close. It will take a lot of time and use a lot of disk space, but it will give you the burned-in t/c client reference you're looking for.

For what it's worth, we rarely do this as it's easier to bring the client in, sit them at the "B computer", show them how to mark ins and outs and leave them alone for a few hours. It's SO much less work than trying to enter t/c from someone's paper edit, and it usually results in them realizing why they have us to scene selection in the first place.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved