MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Export File Crash.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregg MichaelsExport File Crash.
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 2:32:10 pm

Hi guys. Recently upgraded to Snow, and performed a fresh install of the software. Everything has been performing perfectly until now. When I try to export my program as a file, the entire app crashes. I've pulled up many different projects, just to test, and all of them crash when I go to export as a file. I don't even get to the options window. I can use the other export features such as to AE or XML, just not a file. Have uninstalled, reinstalled, trashed preferences all with no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is going to be a big problem.

Thanks.

Mac OS 10.6.2, MacPro 3.2ghz, M100 Suite 1.1.3, AJA- Kona3-7.1

GM

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Export File Crash.
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 4:05:40 pm

Did you upgrade to Snow Leopard, or is this a fresh OS installation? I am asking because it sounds like you have an old QuickTime codec installed which does not work on 10.6, which could be the reason for your crashes. Have a look into your Library->QuickTime folder and look for codecs that sound unfamiliar to you. Move these to the desktop and try again to export something from Media 100.

Return to posts index

Gregg MichaelsRe: Export File Crash.
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 4:09:46 pm

This was a fresh installation on a new hard drive. I'll check out the quicktime folder and see if anything looks strange compared to my Leopard drive.

GM

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:32:27 pm

You, and M100 tech support were right. It was SMIQuickTimeExportComponent.component that was causing the issue.

Thanks Floh.

GM

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: Export File Crash.
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:53:04 pm

As long as we're on this subject, let me give you all our guidelines for troubleshooting this particular complaint...

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

When someone says, "It crashes when I try to export," there are 3 points at which the crash is likely occurring.

1. Go to the File Menu, choose Export, crash before Export dialog comes up.
This is almost ALWAYS about a codec in MacHD/Library/QuickTime. Move any suspicious codecs out of their Log Out/In or Restart and try again.

2. Go to the File Menu, choose Export, make your Export choices, click the "Export" button, crash before export really starts happening.
This is almost ALWAYS the Media 100 "plist" file named "com.Media100.Media100Suite.plist" found at: YourUserFolder/Library/Preferences. Quit M100, delete that plist file, relaunch m100 and try again.

3. Go to the File Menu, choose Export, make your Export choices, click the "Export" button, export starts and then crashes sometime before it finishes.
This is almost ALWAYS much harder to figure out what it is. It could be memory, could be a drive problem, it gets murky. Luckily though Scenarios 1 and 2 are MUCH more common.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2010 at 7:00:10 pm

These are good guidelines to have. Thanks Wick.

GM

Return to posts index

Colin GrimshawRe: Export File Crash.
by on Jan 31, 2010 at 3:49:00 pm

Just to back up what Wick said about the Codecs. As he already knows, we had this problem a week or so ago at Imperial College. After much transatlantic telephonic communications (!) Wick helped me solve the problem. It was indeed a file in the Quicktime folder. I did as Wick suggests and moved everything out that was not needed to run M100 suite. The problem file was one I could not associate with, but was a Quicktime SML file (maybe to do with SMIL?). I trashed it!!!

Colin Grimshaw
Imperial College London

Return to posts index

Michael HanishRe: Export File Crash.
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 11:12:00 am

Wick,

I had been plagued with the same problem for a long time, a crash on export from the edit suite, got real good at all workarounds and had almost forgotten about the issue until this succinct batch o fixes. Many thanks, as it prompted me to prune the QuickTime folder, trash prefs (again) and restart (again and again). Problem solved and full functionality returned.
Many thanks!!!!
Michael Hanish

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]