MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Video Input problems

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt JonesVideo Input problems
by on Jan 21, 2010 at 9:21:20 pm

I am having trouble capturing HD/SD video through the firewire port. I am also having problems capturing SD component video. I suspect it is a problem with my AJA LHe card as I have had some flakeyness in the past, but has always straightened itself out. Usually if I have problems, I just select another video input (SD composite) or something and then switch it back to what I want (SD component) and it works. Not this time.

I am able to capture DV video with Quicktime's "new video recording" and FCP with no problems. In M100 I have the codecs set right, I have firewire machine control, I just don't have video or audio.

I am running M100 v13.0.5 on Quad core mac running 10.5.8 with QT 7.6.4. I have an AJA card with 6.03 drivers.

Are there any known issues with this configuration. Any suggestions?

Matt Jones
Metro Productions, Inc.
Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: Video Input problems
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 6:00:38 pm

Hey Matt,

Your specs all check out. It should be working.

You wrote that you can capture DV via QuickTime and Final Cut Pro, what about component? Have you tried that via FCP?

Another question I have is what slot is the AJA card in? It should be in Slot #3 as marked on the back of the Mac.

~Wick

Return to posts index

Matt JonesRe: Video Input problems
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 8:28:44 pm

When I "get more info" on the mac it now shows:

NVIDA GeForce 8800 GT: Slot-1
pci-bridge: Slot-2
pci-bridge: Slot-2
pcif1d0,c0fe: Slot-2@3,12,0
scsi: Slot-4

OK, Guess the card is in the wrong slot. It's in #2 now. I'll open 'er up and swap it out as soon as I get done with this DVD I'm burning.

So, once swapped I will have:

Slot 1: NVIDA GeForce 8800 GT
Slot 2: open
Slot 3: LHe card
Slot 4: G-RAID SCSI bus controller

I'm sure I put the card in the slot I was told to when I initally set up the system. Has it changed?

I have not tried to digitize component SD via FCP. Should I try this test before I swap the card out?

Thanks,

Mj

Matt Jones
Metro Productions, Inc.
Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: Video Input problems
by on Jan 22, 2010 at 10:00:26 pm

We were directed to use Slot 3 by AJA when we first started developing for their hardware, so... no, this has never changed.

As for the board swap, you should swap the card first because you said you've experienced "flakyness" with this card in the past and perhaps this is why.

~Wick

Return to posts index

by on Jan 22, 2010 at 10:39:57 pm

Swapped the card. no luck.

I am now unable to playback an HD timeline that worked fine before the swap. It says:

"Could not play because the CPU was unable to process the video quickly enough. Stopped @ 00:02:33:14"

Any other ideas? Maybe I need to send my card back to AJA for testing/repair?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Jones
Metro Productions, Inc.
Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2010 at 2:49:39 pm

So I guess I'll put the card back in the slot I had it in to start with? Is my eSata card in the right slot? ( current config: display-1, LHe-3, eSATA-4)

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Jones
Metro Productions, Inc.
Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Video Input problems
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 2:56:25 pm

[Matt Jones] "So I guess I'll put the card back in the slot I had it in to start with? Is my eSata card in the right slot? ( current config: display-1, LHe-3, eSATA-4) "

Yeah, if it worked better before.

If you acquire using FireWire, you can turn off the Aja card (for video output). Can you acquire then??

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:48:39 pm

Issue update:

Swapped the cards back and fired M100HD up. HDV acquire worked perfectly. I got my HDV stuff digitized and then tried a SD component capture from Beta to see how lucky I really was. no luck. Here's the sequence that followed which is about par for my system for the last year or so.

1. Firewire HDV working
2. Switch to SD component, beta, Kona rs422 control: no video, analog audio and mach control working fine
3. Switch back to firewire HDV (video, audio, device control): nothing working- all machine control attempts register a "stop" highlight on the vcr controls on the subsampler. no video, no audio, no mach control
4. Switch to SD component: same as #2
5. Switch to SD composite: Video come in as B&W, audio and mach control working
6. Switch from SD composite to SD component: B&W video turns to color and component SD is working fine.

It's just that easy. When it works. Usually it depends on if I have a customer with a BetaSP sitting beside me or not. It's not dependable and sometimes I can't get the SD component to come in at all.

Just for giggles I tried switching back to Firewire HDV acquire after getting the SD component to work, and now it's not working again. (After working perfectly for 45 minutes earlier today)

I gotta get to the bottom of this asap. I need to be able to rely on my M100HD as I have since version 2.6.

Matt Jones
Metro Productions, Inc.
Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Video Input problems
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:46:00 pm

Matt,

this sounds not too good.

First thing I would try is to create a new MacOSX user account and run the software there. Look if you have the same issues there. If not, then it is most likely a userspace issue, like a corrupted preference file somewhere.
Next thing I would do is to take a fresh harddrive (FireWire or internal) and install a fresh copy of OSX, Media 100 and the appropriate Aja drivers to see if you still see the problems. I guess that you run into some sort of conflict with e.g. either a bad driver for something, a QuickTime codec that gives problems or maybe a hardware conflict.
What kind of storage do you use? Is there maybe a newer driver or firmware for your storage card?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:20:01 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I downloaded a new driver for my GSpeedES eSATA and restarted. Once I get this project out tomorrow I'll try the other tests, test the inputs again, and see if it reacts the same on a clean system.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Jones
Metro Productions, Inc.
Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]