MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Not M100 Qs but please help!!!

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul CroweNot M100 Qs but please help!!!
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 8:13:07 am

Hi Folks,

Happy New Year.

this is totally not a M100 Q. But as a m100 user and a subscriber to this list for many years I've always found you guys to be totally helpful and knowledgeable about many things tech so I thought I'd post this here as well as in the OSX forum. Hope you don't mind...

It's partly an OS question partly hardware.

I have at home one of the early little 13inch MacBook 1.83ghz machines, it has had one drive change in it's lifetime and currently houses a 150GB HD. Running OSX 10.5.8. My daughter uses it for emails web surfing etc. But recently it's started to slow down. Only about 30GB of it's in built storage is used.

So i noticed it has a pitiful 512GB of RAM in it so I was going to up that to 2GB or whatever the max you can get in this machine. I've run carbon cloner to back it up to a FW drive prior to doing this. So my questions are...

A) If I do this will this machine run snow leopard?

B) What are the other reasons this machine might be running slow and how do I determine this and put them right?

c) If I can successfully upgrade the RAM and load snow leopard (or not) could I reasonably expect the machine run Adobe CS3 or 4 design premium programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, in design etc without going insane?

thanks in advance for any comment or advice.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Not M100 Qs but please help!!!
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 1:42:42 pm

[Paul Crowe] "A) If I do this will this machine run snow leopard? "

Definitely. For web and email this still should be pretty fast (except mabye Flash, which is known to perform badly on Macs). Get as much RAM as you can put into the system, though.[Paul Crowe] "B) What are the other reasons this machine might be running slow and how do I determine this and put them right? "

I would bet that it is the RAM. 512MB is simply not enough these days. Other than that, I donĀ“t see a reason why this machine should be slow. I have a MacMini with 1.83GHz CPUs, and it is extremely quick.

[Paul Crowe] "c) If I can successfully upgrade the RAM and load snow leopard (or not) could I reasonably expect the machine run Adobe CS3 or 4 design premium programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, in design etc without going insane? "

Definitely. It is not a "pro" machine, but for Photoshop or Illustrator work you should have no problems. Even AE should be fine (although of course much slower than on a MacPro).

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmondRe: Not M100 Qs but please help!!!
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 6:48:53 am

Definitely, you need more RAM. Also, every other month you might want to Repair Permissions. Go to your Applications>Utilities folder and launch Disk Utility. Select the hard drive and click on Repair Permissions (not verify permissions).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]