MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Project from legacy m100 to fcp

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
todd mcmullenProject from legacy m100 to fcp
by on Dec 14, 2009 at 12:54:44 am

I have a very complex project on m100,v8.2, with timecode, that has many bins and programs.
I need to see if I can get this project onto FCP with minimal loss of the dissolves, cuts, and supers that I have already edited.
Is this possible and what would be most effective method.
I know I will have to re-digitize my material but I am hoping with solid timecode it will be easier.
Any thoughts on this transition?

thanks

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: Project from legacy m100 to fcp
by on Dec 14, 2009 at 4:25:43 pm

[todd mcmullen] "I know I will have to re-digitize my material..."

Will you? If the media's gone, then of course it'll need to be re-digitized but if you still have the media available and it links up correctly to the v8.x Programs and Bins, you shouldn't NEED to re-digitize.

The simple "broad-strokes" explanation of how it should go is as follows:

- Don't bother with the Project file (the "clapper" icon). Just worry about Programs, Bins and Media files.

- Get those files onto a system running Media 100 Suite. A decent firewire drive should be fine or you can copy the media files to whatever local volume(s) you wish to use for media.

- Create a new Project with the appropriate Media Settings and Media Destinations and then bring the Programs and Bins into the new Project.

- Let the new Project scan the Programs and Bins and link up to the media.

- One more thing to consider before exporting to XML... Media 100 currently cannot export Bins to XML. This is not a big deal though as you can simply drag all clips from a Bin into a new Program, export that Program to XML, then reverse the process when you get it over to FCP.

- So... once all you Programs are ready to go, just start exporting them to XML.

- If FCP is on the same Mac, then all you have to do is open the XMLs in FCP and follow the prompts.

- If FCP is on a different Mac, and depending on how you get the media files to that machine, you may have to do one extra step where you point FCP to the correct location of the media files.

That should be it. Let us know how it works out.

~Wick

Return to posts index

todd mcmullenRe: Project from legacy m100 to fcp
by on Dec 17, 2009 at 1:33:54 am

thanks
will move forward on.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>