MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Replacing HDx board

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremy Rowell
Replacing HDx board
on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:46:36 pm

One of my systems is a G5 Dual 2.7 Power PC Mac Media 100 with the HDx board. It's on it's 3rd Hdx board and our warranty is out. The current board is still functioning fine, but I want to get plan b ready should the board fail again. What other hardware is compatible? What are my options?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Replacing HDx board
on Nov 24, 2009 at 11:18:45 pm

Jeremy,

the Aja LH and Kona2 boards also do work with Media 100 and are PCI-X based; but I am not really sure if it is a good idea to invest into PCI-X hardware these days. Apple moved to PCI Express some time ago (with the latest versions of the G5 systems, even before moving to Intel). And Snow Leopard/OSX 10.6 only works on Intel systems. So basically there are no PCI-X solutions out there that are supported by Apples latest OS.
And while Media 100 currently supports both Leopard and Snow Leopard, I think there will be a time when the newest release of Media 100 only runs on Snow Leopard. DonĀ“t get me wrong, right now I think there is no sign that this will happen anytime soon, but since Snow Leopard has some interesting technologies e.g. to speed up rendering and use CPUs and GPUs more efficient via Grand Central Dispatch, I guess that the Media 100 engineers do have a look at these technologies for future releases.
So I guess your best option would be to look out for a used Kona 2, Kona LH or HDx card as a backup. But sooner or later you probably have to move to Intel, so I would try to avoid spending too much money on a hardware technology that was phased out by Apple more than 4 years ago.

Return to posts index

jeremy Rowell
on Nov 24, 2009 at 11:49:18 pm

Thanks for the info Flo.
I Have a Media 100 That is older and 1 that is newer (An Intel) So 2 of my 3 are obsolete. I just need to keep it working as is. My Station was recently purchased by a larger group, and of course the rest of the group are using FCP. If I have to replace a whole edit station, I'm pretty sure they will make me switch over to FCP to match the group. 8>(

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Nov 24, 2009 at 11:52:03 pm

[jeremy Rowell] "If I have to replace a whole edit station, I'm pretty sure they will make me switch over to FCP to match the group. 8>( "

Then the Aja route makes even more sense, since you can run FCP and Media 100 on the same Aja (or BlackMagic) boards from the same startup drive. Simply open your editing program of choice. These days it does not really make sense to force an editor to work in an app he does not like for this job.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]