MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Internal RAID vs. Gspeed ES

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben MastersonInternal RAID vs. Gspeed ES
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 7:13:15 pm

We just purchased 2 mac pros as well as the AJA LHi card for use with Media100 Suite. We also bought 2 G-Speed ES's (one for each system) for editing on and loaded the Mac Pro's with 3 additional hard drives - which we then raided. We have been running some drive speed tests using the AJA benchmarking tool and I have a couple questions.

First of all the G-speed (RAID 0) seems to be running the expected data-rate at around 180 - 200 MB/s read and write. The 3 internal drives (RAID 0) run about double the speed at around 360 - 390 MB/s.
I did notice however, in the text file generated that the G-speed ES datarate is very consistent when you look at the datarate per frame. The internal RAID is all over the map with some frames reporting 500 MB/s and other frames can be as low as 40 MB/s. I assume this is because of the lack of a hardware RAID controller for the internal drives. My question is that is the AJA diagnostic reporting correctly? And does this mean that it will have trouble with a constant stream of uncompressed footage even though the overall datarate is adequate?

The plan is to have one Media100 system as a long form editor, and the other one as more of a high-end compositing system (we would be purchasing more G-speed ES's to raid together for this system). But then I was told that by putting an apple Raid card in the machine, it will act as a RAID controller for the internal drives, even if they aren't connected to it. So then we thought of using the free SATA port to attach the system drive to and putting in 4- 10,000 rpm drives in. Of course the main issue would be heat. Will this be a problem? I have built many PC's and as long as you get a decent box, you can add many fans and heat isn't really an issue. The Mac Pro looks pretty compact inside...does anyone know how efficiently the Mac Pro cools? Any thoughts on this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved