MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

FCP to m100 Suite

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
noah wightFCP to m100 Suite
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:58:38 pm

So I've got a project where I need to take a number of programs initially cut on FCP for web presentation and add commercial breaks to get them on tv. The media is all on drives that would be shipped to me. I'm trying get an idea of how complicated the process will be so I can effectively charge for the job. I looked at the xm interchange tutorial on the m100 page and I understand there may be some issues with transitions but I think it will be mostly straight devolves. Anyone have experience with this or have suggestions on steps I can take on the front end to avoid headaches? Any input would be appreciated. N

Return to posts index

Wickham StrubRe: FCP to m100 Suite
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 9:03:15 pm

Hi Noah,

Here are a few things to think about ahead of time...

- Media file paths -
The absolute EASIEST workflow for you would be if the drive you get with the media is the same drive that the Final Cut project was linked to at the moment the Final Cut XML was created. That way, when you mount the drive and bring the XML into Media 100, the new Program will automatically link to the media.

Don't worry about it though, if the media files are NOT in the EXACT file path described in the XML, the Import XML process in Media 100 will prompt you to navigate to the folder with the media files and then they all link up from there.

- Audio Media -
Media 100 differs in a fundamental way from Final Cut in that it must have separate files for audio. This means that new audio files will be created when you import the XML. This is really an issue if your work will end in Media 100, but it would be worth noting if you wanted to move the project back to FCP. You'd need to be sure to

- Codecs -
You'll want to ensure that you have the correct codec(s) installed to support the media.

- Effects -
It sounds like you understand that not ALL effects will come across verbatim. It's much better than the old EDL days, but the rule remains the same, the less exotic the edit before exporting to XML, the better.

- Misc. -
The only other thing to be concerned with would be "non-standard" frame sizes or frame rates.

Do you know any details about the FCP project?
- What format was it shot in? SD 4x3 or 16x9? HD 720 or 1080?
- Was it a "full raster" format? or one of the HDV variants?
- Interlaced or Progressive?
- What codec?
- Anything else you can think of...

Return to posts index

noah wightRe: FCP to m100 Suite
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 1:20:05 am

Thanks Wick. That's exactly the laundry list I was looking for. The drives should be the original drives for the edit but I'll have to check. The project will be mastered out on the m100. This is a bit of an investment as my time goes right now because it's for a friend who's live uplink business is booming and he's going to need a reliable outlet to remix the live mix for television distribution. I'll work get the other details and check back. Thanks again. N

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved