MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Video Purifier codec

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert L. KopfVideo Purifier codec
by on Oct 28, 2009 at 2:37:35 pm

I'm going through the process of familiarizing myself with Innobits' Video Purifier, I've read the manual, and have done a couple of trial runs on a few clips. I have a couple of questions for anyone here who's using it. I'd like to speed up my learning curve a little. I'm running Video Purifier on a Core 2 Duo iMac, processing footage brought from an old Media 100 system, using a portable, external drive.

On page 17 of the manual, they talk a little bit about codecs. I am digitizing mostly component analog with a Media 100i v8.2.3a system. I always use the "Lossless" option. So I'm assuming that I don't need to do anything on the input side of using Video Purifier. When selecting an output codec, the manual suggests using FCP Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 (v210), but I don't see any choice in the list that says exactly that. I'm choosing the one that says 10-bit uncompressed 4:2:2. Is that the same thing? What are the best settings for interlacing and gamma (and anything else for that matter)? And how much threshold should one use as a starting point when processing well lit, etc. stuff? Is there such a thing as too much, or does the increase in denoising just come at a price of longer processing time? I know I can just judge for myself. But I'm interested to hear what people's experiences have been.

I also have to deal with some mini-DV footage that I'm importing to the Media 100i using its DV option connector. I've never used that before. So any pointers anyone may have relating to that will be much appreciated. I'm particularly interested in what kinds of improvements can be obtained from running the mini-DV footage through Video Purifier, recommended settings, etc.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Return to posts index

Robert L. KopfRe: Video Purifier codec
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 3:36:49 pm

Ok, I guess that's not a question that's worth anyone's time. How about this? Is there anyone out there who has a lot of experience using Video Purifier with a Media 100i v8 system who I can PAY to help me get up to speed?

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Video Purifier codec
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 3:44:24 pm

Since you are working in V8, you should render back out to Media 100 LL codec to avoid color/level shifts and unnecessary recompression.
Too much cleaning will result in either overall softness of the image or artifacts, similar to compression clouds. Overall you should be able to see it in the Purifier window already; keep an eye on it during playback, since many artifacts are easier to see in playback than in stop mode.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 1, 2010 at 6:01:55 pm

Thanks very much Floh! I'll look into trying this today.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:08:31 pm

When you say "render back out to Media 100 LL codec, what exactly would you choose within the Media 100i application to do that? From what I understand, the only way to get the thing out of the Media 100i is to "export from edit suite" using the "self-contained movie" choice. According to the manual, that's the only export that uses the Media 100 codec.

When I drag the resulting quicktime movie file onto the Video Purifier icon, VP says it can't determine the source gamma, and asks me whether I want 1.8 or 2.2. Do you know which way to go on that?

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Video Purifier codec
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:20:28 am

[Robert L. Kopf] " From what I understand, the only way to get the thing out of the Media 100i is to "export from edit suite" using the "self-contained movie" choice. According to the manual, that's the only export that uses the Media 100 codec. "

Right. From Media 100 you do a self-contained (or by-reference) export. You asked what codec to render to from Purifier, as far as I understood it. From Purifier you should render back into the Media 100 i Lossless codec.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]